SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Star Gazer in Essex

Olisuds

Hi everyone, I live in Essex and I'm  just starting out with star gazing again after 28 years. I've recently signed up with the hope of learning about the equipment and how to better use it. This place is a great resource and has really helped with lots of questions but I thought it would be great to introduce myself and meet some people with the same interest that might be able to teach me a few things.

I use to have what i think was a 4" Tasco Reflector - possible a Schmidt-Newton - it was a long time ago and I was just a kid. I never really got to grips fully with usingthe mount properly but did manage some reasonable planetary and lunar viewing. I now have a Skymax 150 pro with EQ5 mount and am hoping to really learn how to use an EQ mount properly and find my way around the sky before i do some better planetary viewing. Ultimately I'd like to get to the point where I can take some decent photos but i dont expect to run before i can walk.

Anyway, hi to you all and look forward to learning more about Star Gazing from all you knowledgable peops.    

Oli

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Oli, and welcome from another Essex member

The North Essex Astronomical Society are running a session on 17th January to help people with their new scopes. They should be able to help you get the best out of your new equipment https://www.northessexastro.co.uk/events/public-meeting-telescope-help-astronomy-qa/ and there are a few other Essex based groups that hold meetings and observing sessions too

Hi Oli, welcome to SGL, lots of folk on here to offer help.

Several clubs in Essex. If you are in SE Essex, perhaps you may like Castle Point AC, lots going on, as with the other clubs like North Essex mentioned above.

Cheers from Ed.

Welcome to SGL Oli.  You've had a long spell away from Astronomy, but one thing is certain,
the stars are pretty much the same as they were when you left ?.  At least from our perspective they are.   
Anyway, anything you need answers to, just ask away, and replies will follow.       
Just remember it's your duty to enjoy it here.   The Forums Code of Conduct is worth reading, it will give you a good understanding of what we are about here. 
 Best Wishes .

Welcome Oil....

Take it a step at a time and you will be taking great astrophotos in time, it does take a bit of practise, from the hardware to the processing......

Essex, that name will forever be associated with me with the Vikings because of the viking Series.. Season 4 in particular.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys - it's truly appreciated. I'm in Shenfield so would love to get the opportunity to attend some of these events in Essex and get to meet some of you folks. I'll check out the clubs and take on board the tips and advice you've kindly shared.

Cheers Oli

Archived