SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars & Jupiter nearing conjunction

Special K

I made an effort and went outside at about 05:00 to take a look.

I'm glad that I made the effort and was amazed that I could get both planets in the same FOV at 100x using a 5mm BST on my ST102.

The Jovian moons also gave the impression of two double stars either side of Jupiter.

The conjunction was also impressive with the naked eye.

Seeing wasn't great and I actually couldn't even make out any cloud bands on Jupiter, but it was certainly worth the effort.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed to drag myself out of bed into -4 degrees around 5am to let the scope (Heritage 114p) cool for a bit before starting. Still frustrated by lack of visible banding (apart from some very subtle shading) despite trying a variable moon filter, but thrilled to see Jupiter (+ 4 moons) and Mars in a single view.  Weather in Glasgow was very helpful and it stayed clear for a good couple of hours. Used magnifications mostly of 83x and 100x - couldn't get them both in at 167x.  Photo/video from an old iPhone 4 hooked up with a smartphone adaptor - so no real control (or even a self timer to remove shake from the still).  Only had the scope a few weeks and just set up the tracking a couple of days ago, so I'm calling this a successful beginning.  

Enjoying seeing everyone else's photos from this morning.  Thanks for sharing.

J4mMstill - 1.jpg

J4MM - 1 - HD 720p.mov

6 hours ago, AdeKing said:

actually couldn't even make out any cloud bands on Jupiter

No, neither could I, but like everyone else, it was a good sight and seeing these kind of things should be encouraged to all. 

Archived