Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

binoviewer

Hi Saso,

I use my Burgess Optical binoviewer mainly for lunar observing, as it seems to cut about one magnitude from the brightness of anything I look at. So deep sky stuff is mostly out, as are the dimmer planets. But it is superb for the moon - there is a real feeling of greater depth and definition to what you see. I use 20mm Meade 400s and 17mm burgess optical WAs (came with the binoviewer). Both give excellent views. As I already had one Meade 20mm 4000 EP, it meant I had only one EP to buy, to have 2 sets. The binoviewer seems to add about 20% to the normal magnification achieved with the EP. You can pick up the Meades from e-bay at about £15-20 a time - good value.

I have heard that wider FOV EPs can produce vignetting, depending on the light path width through the binoviewer.

Tom

Like Tom I've got the Burgess (well a clone) binoviewers and they are great on the Moon, planets and brighter DSOs. I think if you buy them to use on the Moon, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter and regard anything else as a bonus (M42, M13 etc) you won't be dissapointed.

They begin to vignet when using eyepieces with a larger FOV than a 24mm 52 deg eyepiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I narrowed down to two binoviewers - StellarVue which I must buy from America and William optics binoviewer which I can buy form Germany. I choose this two because both have compression rings to hold eyepieces and I think because of that can better center eyepieces. Anyone has any experience with this two binoviewers?

Saso

I choose this two because both have compression rings to hold eyepieces and I think because of that can better center eyepieces.

Wise move,

I think you have just nailed the weakness with all the cheaper binoviewers - poor eyepiece mounting.

Archived