Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi FC-100DC vs DL Comparison

I used the AP diagonal on my DL initially and it worked very well. I've since moved that diagonal onto my 5.1" triplet and have a Baader T2 Zeiss prism diagonal on the Tak now. I tend to use 1.25" eyepieces with the DL - I don't tend to use it as a wide field scope much.

I'm not sure that any of the current line of FC100's have a sliding dew shield ?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

I'm not sure that any of the current line of FC100's have a sliding dew shield ?

That’s correct John, the fc100s are all fixed dew shields. The TSA-120 has a sliding dew shield 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

Very hard to choose indeed!

That the DF has a sliding dew shield is another point in its favour, along with the beefier focuser. My Equinoxes and Genesis have that kind, and it's a greater benefit than a screw on/off type, apart from rigid OL protection.

The DF has the same focuser as the DL. The DC has a smaller focuser.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GavStar said:

That’s correct John, the fc100s are all fixed dew shields. The TSA-120 has a sliding dew shield 

Shame that ? it would make portability much easier. Also how many times can you unscrew a hood on aluminium before the thread wears down?

In view of the extra length from the hood, the F7.5s win for travel all other reasons apart.

Edited by 25585

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Shame that ? it would make portability much easier. Also how many times can you unscrew a hood on aluminium before the thread wears down?

In view of the extra length from the hood, the F7.5s win for travel all other reasons apart.

Fair point - would have liked a sliding dew shield, but it would have added weight. Before I removed the dew shield on my DC in preparation for taking abroad for the first time last year I sought some advice from Takahashi Europe - they advised not to unscrew it too often, and to apply a bit of lubricant every now and then to protect the thread. 

3 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Before I removed the dew shield on my DC in preparation for taking abroad for the first time last year I sought some advice from Takahashi Europe - they advised not to unscrew it too often, and to apply a bit of lubricant every now and then to protect the thread

Mine has been on and off plenty of times with no problems. The threads are not overly fine and I've never had an issue with cross threading. It's not an issue from my experience, but obviously care should be taken each time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Fair point - would have liked a sliding dew shield, but it would have added weight. Before I removed the dew shield on my DC in preparation for taking abroad for the first time last year I sought some advice from Takahashi Europe - they advised not to unscrew it too often, and to apply a bit of lubricant every now and then to protect the thread. 

Japanese cars and bikes likewise. 

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Mine has been on and off plenty of times with no problems. The threads are not overly fine and I've never had an issue with cross threading. It's not an issue from my experience, but obviously care should be taken each time.

Ironic that the TS do have sliding hoods while FC, which is sold as portable, does not.

Point to SW for the Equinox, though the standard ED models have screw on hoods.

I suppose an Astro zap hood on its own would do. Do the OL caps only fit on your Tak's hood end? ₩

Edited by 25585

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can't say I heeded their advice Stu. A little OTT from the Tak Health and Safety dept.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2018 at 01:00, Ibbo! said:

Wonder how my ancient and a little battered (but loved ) FS102 would fair is this company.

I suspect that if the optics are clean and well collimated it would hold its own very well ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 25585 said:

Also how many times can you unscrew a hood on aluminium before the thread wears down?

In view of the extra length from the hood, the F7.5s win for travel all other reasons apart

Depends what you mean by "travel"..if you mean airline carry onboard travel, then fair enough, but if you mean travelling to a dark site by car, then I think both scopes are "portable", whether fixed or sliding dewshield. And the same for "grab and go" portability. In those applications there would be no reason to keep unscrewing the dewshield.

I'd actually love to see a 4" F12 or F13 Fluorite doublet being offered..now that would be a special planetary and double star scope - and blow the portability?

Dave

• Like 2

A retracting dew shield would not save much space on the FC-100's. The objective lens is well up the dew shield so you would only be able to slide the dew shield back about 8-10cm at most. I wondered about this when I first got my scope (re: dewing) but it has yet to dew up. Even last night while the OTA was quickly soaked by dew, the objective remained clear. Unlike my ED120 which needs a dew shield extension to remain dew free for long.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

I suspect that if the optics are clean and well collimated it would hold its own very well ?

Not as clean as they could be , but I reckon another 3 or 4 years before its due :grin:

• Like 1

The dew shield is a bit short and it happened to me that it got a bit foggy, once. I was observing near the zenith for almost two hours though. For a 4" telescope, an astrozap dew shield is quite cheap, and one can spend much less by making one manually. 

The Tak dew shield is enough for me to reduce stray light going into the objective. At the eyepiece, the Russian monk hood works greatly instead.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Piero said:

.... I was observing near the zenith for almost two hours though...

With a Tak, you are always at the zenith, of performance :icon_biggrin:

I think I'll send that to Takahashi as advertising blurb. They might send me a free scope ! :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• 1 year later...
On 01/01/2018 at 00:35, mikeDnight said:

20170402_193753.jpg

2017-04-03 08.07.20.jpg

Hi,

Which model Berlebach tripod is that ? I can see the 'Report' but not sure which size, I have the 212.

Thanks.

On 01/01/2018 at 00:35, mikeDnight said:

20170402_193753.jpg

2017-04-03 08.07.20.jpg

Hi,

Which model Berlebach tripod is that ? I can see the 'Report' but not sure which size, I have the 212.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, SAW said:

Hi,

Thanks.

I couldn't honestly say, as the scope and tripod belonged to a friend. Sorry!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I couldn't honestly say, as the scope and tripod belonged to a friend. Sorry!

In that case, Saw, if I were you I would report Mike and his post for not being able to report which Report the scope was mounted on - as reported above. I do have to report that I don't know which Report model it was either..so maybe you need to report me too!😁😁

Dave

• Haha 4