SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wildcat 'Cans' - Jones-Emberson 1 - WIP

steppenwolf

Jones-Emberson 1 - The Headphones Nebula.

This wonderful planetary nebula is officially catalogued as PK 164+31.1 which is how I located it in Cartes du Ciel but the inspiration for this image came from seeing Peter Goodhew’s version here on SGL.

Located 1600 light years away in the Constellation of Lynx, the nebula has a faint magnitude of +12.1. The central star (that does not appear in this image) that created the nebula as it shed its outer atmosphere layers, has a magnitude of +16.8. The nebula was originally discovered by Rebecca Jones and R. Emberson on a photographic plate at the Harvard Observatory in 1939.

As usual, I captured this Ha data under moonlit conditions as this maximises my imaging opportunities by leaving non-moonlit skies for capturing less resilient filtered data!

Image Stats

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Filter: Astrodon 3nm Ha
Subframes: 19 x 1800 sec Ha
Integration: 9.5 hours
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIm DL
Calibration and Stacking: PixInsight
Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3

5a495740a25c7_Jones_Emberson_1281217_19.thumb.png.f5b9f4e776b7def23a4654c18b4e67b3.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Interesting object Steve.

Useful downloadable reference here for similar objects.

Dave

http://www.reinervogel.net/pdf/Large_PN.pdf

That's a very useful link, thank you!

11 hours ago, cfpendock said:

Magical...  Especially with this field of view.

Thank you and I agree, a widefield context really does show this sort of object at its best.

10 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Great pic

Thank you, Tom,

10 hours ago, kev said:

Actually looks like one too

Sometimes you do have to stretch your imagination to see the shape of these objects against their common names but this one leaves little doubt!

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. We're working on this one as well. It's a glorious object.

@ollypenriceI shall be very interested to see how your image develops as I'm guessing that it will major on LRGB and I think this object will respond very well to that palette to bring the stars into the equation a bit more. A much closer inspection of my image as it currently stands does after all reveal the presence (just) of the progenitor but I would expect your LRGB image to really show this as a blue-white star.

42 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

That's a very useful link, thank you!

Thank you and I agree, a widefield context really does show this sort of object at its best.

Thank you, Tom,

Sometimes you do have to stretch your imagination to see the shape of these objects against their common names but this one leaves little doubt!

@ollypenriceI shall be very interested to see how your image develops as I'm guessing that it will major on LRGB and I think this object will respond very well to that palette to bring the stars into the equation a bit more. A much closer inspection of my image as it currently stands does after all reveal the presence (just) of the progenitor but I would expect your LRGB image to really show this as a blue-white star.

There's an Adam Block image from a 24 inch in LRGB. NB-enhanced images seem uncertain as to where to locate the OIII in terms of green-blue distribution. I aim to use Adam Block's picture as my colour reference since I think that, in small scopes, the only way to get the fine nebular detail will be from narrowband. My plan is HaOIIILRGB, keeping the LRGB largely as a vehicle for the NB. I think this is the only way to get the 'big scope' look in small scopes.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Obtaining the OIII data for this image has been a bit of an uphill climb and what OIII is there, is very weak indeed so I have decided that with the limited imaging time available to me, I'll call it quits with this one! So here is the colour image with 4 hours of OIII added to produce a bi-colour image of Jones-Emberson 1

5a6497190d41a_Jones-Emberson1.thumb.png.c1cbc76cfa214bfa15510b37a0ab20e7.png

21 hours ago, AndyUK said:

An absolutely stunning image, Steve - You must be VERY pleased how this has turned out :)

Thanks, Andy, considering the difficulty getting the meagre OIII data I did collect, I am pleased with the final result despite its rather noisy appearance.

21 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

It's extremely faint Steve so that's quite a remarkable result with only 4 hours of OIII.  Nice bright "earpieces" and gorgeous stars. A cracker!

Thank you, Peter, I was really surprised just how faint that OIII was in particular for a PN.

19 hours ago, swag72 said:

Great rendition Steve....... love it ????

Pleased you like it, Sara

17 hours ago, RichLD said:

Fantastic pic Steve! Surely it has to be a contender for a stereoscopic image? I'll get me coat...

Thanks, Rich, can I help you with that coat? :D

17 hours ago, Ruud said:

That's a wonderful bi color image! 

thtoppoints.gif.47be2f48cc0314cc4db55dea4554caa7.gif

Who gave me the 9.9? :cwm21:

13 hours ago, lux eterna said:

Simply stunning ! I just wish it was mine...

Ragnar

I've seen your work, you could do it too!

On 1/22/2018 at 12:17, wimvb said:

Great image. And with the central star!

Thank you and yes, the star is just there!

12 hours ago, orion25 said:

Awesome pair of cans!

Nice of you to say :D

9 hours ago, RobertI said:

Star colours are lovely too.

Thanks, they took some work!

That's a thriller, Steve. My plan is to take some OIII unbinned to see if there's any fine structure and, if there isn't, to break from my habits and go for it binned. I see that JPM has combined OIII binned 4x4 (!) with an unbinned set to deepen his already remarkable rendition. Did yo find much structure in the OIII?

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

That's a thriller, Steve. My plan is to take some OIII unbinned to see if there's any fine structure and, if there isn't, to break from my habits and go for it binned. I see that JPM has combined OIII binned 4x4 (!) with an unbinned set to deepen his already remarkable rendition. Did yo find much structure in the OIII?

Olly

Olly, I found a lot of structure in the OIII.  Here it is.

OIII crop.jpg

20 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

A picture paints........ etc.  I don't think my OIII data adds much fine structure but then there are only a very small number of subframes. What is interesting is that the central star is stronger in OIII !!

5a69aa73cfb6d_Alldatacopy.thumb.png.656cf88f9255e8a3f15d61241573945d.png

Archived