Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any Ardunio + Windows programmers out there?

michaelmorris

I currently run two Watec 902 cameras for capturing videos of meteors.  Each camera is turned on every evening and and off in the morning with plug-in mains timers, which are an absolute pig to adjust.  As the computers that run the capture software are on 24/7, it would very convenient for me to have a simple piece of Windows software that controlled a relay to turn the cameras on and off at user-defined times each day. As the year progresses, I could very simply change the on and off times from the computer (Using light sensors to turn the cameras on and off is not practical in my situation).

I know this is a long shot, but are there any Ardunio- competent programmers out there who could produce a simple piece of Windows 7 compatible software to turn on and off simple relays to at times which can be defined in a simple Windows application?

Thanks

Hi Michael,

Obviously there are many ways to skin this particular cat but if you have a computer close to the cameras then you could use a USB driven relay board. The Velleman VM8090 board will do nicely. Then there are YouTube videos

on how to write the software you need. I have NOT done this so I don't have any idea how easy / hard it is but it should be doable and if you have a definite target - like the Velleman VM8090 I am sure you could find online help to get everything working.

Regards, Hugh 

I have done so in the past, but too busy (old) to accept commissions! :D
I also used a Velleman Arduino shield... and designed / programmed
the Windows interface with Visual C# Studio 2008! (8-10 years ago?) :eek:

Back then you could download a FREE Express version of Visual Studio?
If you can code in C for an Arduino, you should be able to suss C#... ;)
(To impress the uninitiates I still have WROX Books on the shelf here!)

There are still Examples (See Google search etc.):
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=89198.0
Fairly generic, but stuff DOES change with time. :)

I see the above is a DEAD link :o But there are others of the same ilk.

4 minutes ago, brown_rb said:

I use this software and their USB relay boards to control my meteor camera - the software you can set on/off times for each day etc etc

Very simple and no programming needed.

Regards

Robert

http://denkovi.com/drm-software

Hi Robert , hope you enjoyed your New Year celebrations - clear Skies for 2018 - Clive Stachon

Other than the simple (always makes sense KISS - "Keep It Simple Simon") that Robert Brown has stated you can find lots of ways using ,for example, Using Raspberry PI and "Home Automation" software such as Hassbian(free)  https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/hassbian/installation/

Unlike Robert's straight forward suggestion you have to change a "few" parameters (normally no programming) but you will find that someone has done all you asked for already.  Scary at first but plenty of online help.

Then of course there is the IOT but that normally requires the Internet.

Happy New Year and Clear Skies.

On 31/12/2017 at 20:28, brown_rb said:

I use this software and their USB relay boards to control my meteor camera - the software you can set on/off times for each day etc etc

Very simple and no programming needed.

Regards

Robert

http://denkovi.com/drm-software

Thanks Robert

I'm tempted by the Denkovi system, it seems to do more or less what I want.  Someone here (thank you Angryowl) has just very generously offered to see if they can put together an Ardunio/Windows combination and at the moment that looks likely to be the cheapest option.  The Denkovi option would be around £30 (inc. a project box), whilst a cheap Ardunio clone + project box + 2 channel relay are probably going to come in at less than £10.  The Ardunio option would have the added advantage of possible later upgrading to include a user-configurable astronomical timer, automating the whole system.

I already use your excellent MyDCFocuser software for my Ardunio-based focus controller and over next year I'm planning to convert this to a stepper motor-based system.   Thanks for the recent Youtube videos on using your focuser systems.

I use a Raspberry Pi, a small 433Mhz rf transmitter and a set of rf controlled mains plugs. The software is free on github. I use the default app crontab to set up the timers.

433Mhz RF TX/RX Modules

Remote Controlled Sockets

I have my sockets controlled by a Raspberry Pi and an Amazon Echo via an esp8266 board. They work my lounge lights, bedroom lights and currently my xmas lights :)

The Pi controls the lounge lights for when I get in late in the evening so I don't have to enter a dark house.

The Ebay listings are just examples, I bought my devices years ago so couldn't give links to vendors I used.

Archived