SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wow!

Thalestris24

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were travelling back from Hinckley to Newbold Verdon and about 2-3 miles North of Hinckley on the Ashby Road (A447) and we saw it too. A very bright and large glowing object with a bright long translucent tail (perhaps 3 or 4 moon diameters long) streaking across the sky westwards. To us it looked bright green and was traveling pretty much horizontally at high speed and what seemed a moderate but not exceptionally high altitude. It faded as it passed above a patch of cloud before reaching the far horizon. Approximate time of sighting (car clock) was around 17:33hrs. We didn't observe it breaking up though.

Anything man-made expected to fall towards earth and burn around this time? Any scheduled rocket launches that might have failed? Or just a big meteor?

I was driving at the time, about 20 miles from home giving attention to urban traffic. Drat drat and double drat.
However, SWMBO was in the garden saying cheerio to visitors. The report was it was the brightest night sky object she had ever seen.
Bright red, long tail. Heading approximately East to West. It was north of our latitude. Sorry I can't get a better description.

Some folks have all the Luck :biggrin:. Nice treat for you Louise, Biggies are not observed all that often, you have been fortunate.
I wonder if any of it got down to ground ?.
Nice New Year prezzie for you, i hope your coming  year is filled with much Joy.

I was not fortunate enough to see it. But Mrs Floater did! She only realised what she’d seen when I told her about these sightings. Said she thought it was a firework (unfortunately, a fair call at this time of year) and saw ‘a green ball travelling across the sky and then gold sparks coming off behind it’.

She is now ‘well chuffed’ to learn what she saw.

I was indoors ... ! ???

22 minutes ago, tomato said:

Reports of a spectacular blue/green fireball seen from Knaresborough in North Yorkshire.

Not observed by me, I was in the garage doing dark frames, doh!

Don't worry - there'll be others! I only saw it for a second - actually my second one this year! Other one was in August :)

Louise

Archived