webcam for astro use?

algol

i know everyone and their dog swears by the toucam pro and pro II just wanted to see what else was out there and what prices I'd be looking at?

at the min i think only lunar and planetary imaging is being attempted so what do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...

I know they are more expensive but I have been using a QHY5 guide cam as a lunar and planetary imager..with its 1.3mp sensor it handles things well, and you can zoom in to other sizes such as 640 x 480. check out some of the pics I posted in the lunar and solar section.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using a Watec 120N webcam which gives me decent images of DSOs though the brighter stars are always 'bloated'. It works well with bright objects like globular and open clusters but I've also had reasonable images of nebulae (ring, dumbell, orion etc.). Just for illustration here's a recent one of M1 (Crab Nebula). Astrophotos they are not but I like webcam images because they look like the image you see in the eyepiece. It takes only 30 seconds to capture and a few minutes to process, therefore I can take up to 20 in one session as a record of what I've seen.

Archived