SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A new home-built 2,2 m Dome

mfalzon

Hi guys!

I thought I'd pass on this link to a blog I am constructing. I intend to detail and illustrate all the steps involved in the construction of a 2.2m square dome observatory from its conception to it's complete outfitting. I am an amateur astronomer and most of the stuff I used in the making of the dome, apart from the actual construction materials  was from recycled stuff and bits and pieces I managed to scrounge. A lot of the outfitting electronics and gadgetry came from cheap Asian sources and the circuitry and software was again partly home grown or borrowed from other sources.

Time, patience and a generous helping of youtube videos and forums like this one are a must if one gets stuck but thankfully one will always find the answers if one digs deep enough.

Anyways ..here it is for any of you who want to browse..The blog should grow  steadily as I add more and more information and pics and of course anyone interested is welcome to drop me a line on this forum or by email.

There is a lot of ground to cover and so it might take me a while to finish uploading it all ..but after all...hey ...it took me a year and a half to finish!

RandO_header.thumb.jpg.dc564c118f68a382f6a6e143235e8625.jpg

Welcome to The Raven and the Owl Observatory ... a home-made little portal to the stars...smile.gif

https://ravenandowl7....wordpress.com/

Dark skies

Maurice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for an interesting read, your obsy's looking great! Well planned and executed project. Interesting to see the efforts you went to making sure the base ring for the dome was actually circular and level - I had much the same struggle building mine :) 

Yes it was rather awkward finishing off the inner and outer surfaces of the rings to make them even, round and matching! I ended up temporarily strapping  a length of 2 x 1 across the diameter and using the middle of it as a pivot for the router that was itself fastened to a length of 2 x 1 acting like the hand of a clock to guide the router around.

And the worst thing was that there was precious little room left for myself to wriggle my way around it!!!!  A labour of love indeed ?

Archived