Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Interesting new 120mm fluorite doublet scope - Agema optics

Interesting new telescope launched by a recently set up US company called Agema Optics (the founder used to work for TEC). Could be a possibility for those wanting something with a bit more aperture than the Tak FC100 for visual.

Flourite 120mm f8.7 doublet. Indicated specs are v good. Pretty long at 95cm though. 

http://www.agemaoptics.com/telescopes/agema-120-sd/

Yes a niche product I think and some competition at the 120mm -125mm apo doublet market now with the intro of the Altair 125mm fpl53 doublet.

For visual ‘purists’ the agema may be attractive with the fluorite and relatively long focal length. The 150 and 180mm are unique I think as apo doublets but long and heavy and expensive compared to triplet competition.

Interesting chromatic focal shift, they seem to have fixed the focal plane for 3 seperate wavelength in the visible spectrum, Fraunhoffer G which is 430nm, e line of 546nm and around 680nm (guess B line of O2). Yet that requires 3 lens to accomplish as in a doublet design you can only work with 2 wavelengths. The plot is also not parabolic, which is the output of a doublet.

Going to be interesting what people find with it, as they appear to have controlled 3 wavelengths with 2 lens.

Well looks nice 

But

I don't think my equinox 120ed will be going anywhere soon. With its Ohara and Scott glass in it, a doubt to my eyes I will see much improvement over the equinox. And the equinox is so much more bang for your buck.

Taken from Wiki:

APO.png

The curve (2) is for a doublet - basically a parabola.

The curve (3) is for a triplet (Cubic)

The distances away from the ideal focal plane indicate the difference between a double and a triplet and the plot Agema give is that of a triplet not a doublet. Which gives me concern for the data supplied.

You can achieve better performances on a doublet widening air gap between the two lenses. This is what Takahashi did with the new FOA design. The problem is that the tolerances start to be challenging and the lens cell must be much more complex and expensive...and the FOA IS expensive for sure...=)

I'm not saying that AGEMA is implementing such design but I'm not aware of any other doublet design that could achieve such performances. Narrow gap and careful lens matching is not enough.

Mauro

This is a bit cheaper than the TSA 120 with its promotional price, about the same weight.  Choosing a premium refractor once I am done school has never been so hard lol. 

LZOS, TEC, TAK, CFF, and Agema.....it really depends on what you would use it for, like what focal length or aperture size and weight of OTA that you can mount and want to take out on a clear night.

I like this Agema. I will have a few years to make up my mind, hopefully some reviews will surface in the astro community.

Archived