Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable 12V Supplies

Having just found myself devoid of employment :laugh: I'm having to squeeze every last ounce of value out of any astro purchases at the moment - I was previously looking to buy a Power Tank type 12V power supply to run the MN78/EQ6 out at local dark sites. I really don't need a built-in torch, croc clips to start the car (I hope!) or built-in microwave oven, so I was after recommendations from you guys who have 'been there-dunnit' for a nice cheap deal on a simple solution - any ideas??

Who needs a job anyway? :laugh: Could mean I'll be drifting through the Forum during the day looking for other wasters and night shift workers ...

That's a tough break Allan :laugh:

Hope you can find yourself gainfully employed soon!

I know SkyGuy uses a big ol' car battery as one of his power sources.

You need to know the Ahr (Amps / Hour) figure, and the load of your kit - divide the two and you know how long the battery will last you.

I bought the-all-in-one from eBay, but I don't know the Ahr (but it's not big!) While it will run my mount and simple secondary dew zapper, it won't run the inverter for the laptop for too long.

HTH :laugh:

P.S. Plenty of wasters on here to keep you occupied during the day! :laugh:

Thanks to all

To Radioactive: Good link, thanks for that mate - I'm working out the sums on getting a charger + battery and seeing if it makes (financial) sense!

To daz: Yep, eBay could be a lifesaver - I reckon I can work out the amp-hours required, and it's not as though I'd be running a lot of imaging or dew-zapping gear (....or will I???) I'll drift through the listings and see what I can pick up - I guess you have a charge-it-up-and you can kick-start jumbo jets type power supply??

To telescope4you: - Whoo! That's a mighty kind offer mate, but I live in the depths of the Hampshire-Dorset border and they still hang strangers round here..... Very, very kind, but I wouldn't put you to the bother!

Regards to all - and the skies are terrible here, but the Summer Lightning tastes good :bounce:(for ale drinkers ..)

Al

Nope - £25 or thereabouts on eBay - only problem is I don't know the Ahr rating!!

BUT it does my mount and mini-zapper OK.

If I start doing a few all-nighters, then I would invest in a big car battery I think.

Thanks to all

To Radioactive: Good link, thanks for that mate - I'm working out the sums on getting a charger + battery and seeing if it makes (financial) sense!

To daz: Yep, eBay could be a lifesaver - I reckon I can work out the amp-hours required, and it's not as though I'd be running a lot of imaging or dew-zapping gear (....or will I???) I'll drift through the listings and see what I can pick up - I guess you have a charge-it-up-and you can kick-start jumbo jets type power supply??

To telescope4you: - Whoo! That's a mighty kind offer mate, but I live in the depths of the Hampshire-Dorset border and they still hang strangers round here..... Very, very kind, but I wouldn't put you to the bother!

Regards to all - and the skies are terrible here, but the Summer Lightning tastes good :bounce:(for ale drinkers ..)

Yes well Ebay Mmmmmmmm I recently bought one a 12volt power station from there thing is its not working and its £7.50 odd to post back to them its a good looker but rather than hassle I will try and fix it its a long story yes it was about £25 total but then if you start adding on extra postage and stuff it could get expensive so I'll look at later on

Hi there

I spotted a jump start thing going for £25 in Robert Dyas a few days ago. It's on their website here http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&productId=60701&langId=-1 Not sure what the Ah is.

I was going to pick one up, but I'm seeing how long 8 D cells last, and I expect it probably needs a custom cigar lighter to 12v jack cable.

Archived