Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Missing prism/diagonal in telescope box: Bresser Skylux 70/700

Bellastargazer

Hello all,
We've just discovered that the  Bresser Skylux 70/700 that Santa brought to my daughter is missing one piece: the prism/diagonal. My husband went to the shop (supermarket) where the telescope was bought at a very convenient price (like 50% discount), but at this time we fear there will be no other telescopes left, so we'll probably have to options:

- Get the refund for the telescope and save some money for another telescope, at a higher price

- Stick with the telescope and buy the missing piece on eBay or Amazon... maybe we can find a better one which will improve the telescope performance?

We have zero knowledge about lenses/telescopes, but my daughter is really interested in Astronomy (watching videos and reading about it all day long) and she was really excited when she got her first telescope...

Could you please give some advice?

Thanks!

You will probably not get a better telescope at the price point, if you don't have any success with the supplier getting you the missing part you could get one from Astroboot when they reopen on Jan 8th. You will need the 1.25" size one.    :icon_biggrin:

That's so frustrating as the telescope will probably not focus without one.  Perhaps you could get some money off from the supermarket as the item was not complete, and just buy a separate diagonal to use with the telescope.

Hopefully someone on here will read this have a spare one which they could pass on for your daughter to use. Hope you get it sorted.

andrew

I used to have a similar telescope. Don't send it back. Ask for some free groceries. Any budget 1 1/4" diagonal will complete the kit.  (The diagonal with mine seemed to be of reasonable quality, and if you buy an expensive diagonal you will be paying for build quality and durability rather than improved optical performance.)

The telescope may come to focus without the diagonal, which will enable you to try it out.

That was really quick!

Thanks all for the responses :)

As we suspected, there were no telescopes left (we got the 89 euro LIDL offer, for those of you in Europe), so I called Customer Services and they advised to call back on Tuesday, when they can transfer my call to the supplier. We'll see then :)

I shopped in our local   Lidl store this morning, and that Refractor is in there.     Problem with goods openly displayed as is they are in Aldi, and Lidl stores, they are sometimes inspected by customers who think they have the right to probe the contents of interesting items, and often do not replace all the contents they have done their foraging.  They shouldn't open boxes, but many do. Chances are, that diagonal. Has probably been left out.  The store should look favourably on  your request to. Supply another.  I've always found there managers  very helpful in these circumstances.

The telescope is an adequate starter instrument for your daughter. She will need some help finding some objects, the moon will be a nice target for her to get her enthusiasm up and running.            Best Wishes for a good outcome.

I'm fairly sure that the prism that was supplied with that particular telescope is an Amici type. Amici prisms give upright non-mirror images. Conventional diagonals give upright but mirror reversed images.

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/Prisms-Diagonal-mirrors/BRESSER-Amici-Prism-90-31-7mm-1-25.html

05fccd37946a897b96a5cfe8ce2b1448_4930210_amici-prism_90degree_31_7mm.jpg.52cd08991653e0a2385578457b9a8e6f.jpg

Amici prism diagonals aka erecting diagonals can be purchased from a lot of places.

5a4905965afe3_Screenshot2017-12-31at15_26_25.thumb.png.4bf3cd84f2f9281a5c6a45929818202a.png

This TS Optics (made by GSO) diagonal above is very good quality and can be bought on Amazon, I have one (shown below) that is used regularly on a three inch/80mm refracting telescope.

IMG_20170721_114155.jpg.2b0eab946fc8404636c360a5784385eb.jpg

https://www.telescope.com/The-Advantages-of-Observing-with-Correct-Image-Diagonal/p/106656.uts

4 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

I'm fairly sure that the prism that was supplied with that particular telescope is an Amici type. Amici prisms give upright non-mirror images. Conventional diagonals give upright but mirror reversed images.

I had one of these scopes and it did not have an Amici diagonal. 

20 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I had one of these scopes and it did not have an Amici diagonal. 

Hence the adverb 'fairly'. I don't know how old Bellastargazer's daughter is, but if she's quite young an Amici prism's correct view might make more sense to her.

5a495080bf9f8_Screenshot2017-12-31at21_01_15.thumb.png.af8bcd31728dce0fbe3260ae6eef28ba.png

It also doesn't mean the particular scope in question wasn't supplied with an Amici, as Bresser seem to distribute them.

4 hours ago, Mak the Night said:

Amici prism diagonals aka erecting diagonals can be purchased from a lot of places.

5a4905965afe3_Screenshot2017-12-31at15_26_25.thumb.png.4bf3cd84f2f9281a5c6a45929818202a.png

This TS Optics (made by GSO) diagonal above is very good quality and can be bought on Amazon, I have one (shown below) that is used regularly on a three inch/80mm refracting telescope.

I don't think I would recommend spending around 55 euros on a scope which has cost 89 euros. I think a cheaper mirror diagonal would make more sense if the OP cannot get the supplier to replace the missing one.

I wonder if Lidl sold the telescope at half price because the box had been opened and rummaged through?  They don't usually discount fast-moving hardware items by this much.  Best solution may be to just buy another cheap diagonal - prices seem to start at £15 for unbranded, no need to buy one that costs more than the scope did. 

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:05, alanjgreen said:

Joc is a decent bloke too...

thanks alanjgreen, yes that diagonal is still available if the OP fancies it - I'm sure it would get them up and running.

Archived