Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way_winners.thumb.jpg.0a840852a676f881f4a849dd8099085d.jpg

JimT

Time to say goodbye :(

Recommended Posts

I can understand the low you must feel now after coming back from your holiday in Switzerland. Think of the good times you have had in the Observatory and hopefully a [removed word] of enthusiasm will give you the incentive took pick through the pieces to see what can be salvaged and restored. 

Steve

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep my kit, all of it, mount, OTAs and cameras, outside under a cover. It needs a couple of heaters to stop it from getting wet from condensation.

A few years ago something happened in my life that meant I had to take a year off from Astronomy.

So the kit sat outside for a year or more, unattended.

I had forgotten to plug the heaters in.

When I finally took the covers off over a year later, everything was soaking, dipping wet and covered in mould. Some of it even had fungus growing on it.

It took a while, and a fair bit of bleach and drying things out - but it's all back in commission. Well, apart from one focus controller box. But all the rest of it - still working.

Like others have said - Astro gear is amazingly rugged.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you can kick back, sink a few of your favourite beverages, and take a fresh look when you are over the initial shock.

Best Regards

Ian

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

I keep my kit, all of it, mount, OTAs and cameras, outside under a cover. It needs a couple of heaters to stop it from getting wet from condensation.

A few years ago something happened in my life that meant I had to take a year off from Astronomy.

So the kit sat outside for a year or more, unattended.

I had forgotten to plug the heaters in.

When I finally took the covers off over a year later, everything was soaking, dipping wet and covered in mould. Some of it even had fungus growing on it.

It took a while, and a fair bit of bleach and drying things out - but it's all back in commission. Well, apart from one focus controller box. But all the rest of it - still working.

Like others have said - Astro gear is amazingly rugged.

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you can kick back, sink a few of your favourite beverages, and take a fresh look when you are over the initial shock.

Best Regards

Ian

Thank you Ian, informative, we shall see how it goes  :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JimT said:

Thank you Ian, informative, we shall see how it goes  :)

The smiley at the end of your comment brought a tear to my eye.

I must be getting soppy in my old age.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ian_bird said:

The smiley at the end of your comment brought a tear to my eye.

I must be getting soppy in my old age.

Well I was almost crying myself but tried not to show the wife how upset I was,  the way I see it Ian I have to take it on the chin and get on with life.  The lads have been very supportive and to be honest since I came on and told what had happened I have been turning towards getting sorted, have never been a quitter and have been in worse scrapes in my life.  I put a lot into this crazy hobby, not just the money which I have no problem with, but the time I do and it's that which I want to recover, thanks again and yes we all get soppy in old age  :)

Jim

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand very well how you feel, less than 2 years ago something quite similar happened to me, when after some observations I left my equipment in my car, and almost everything got stolen. Not as expensive as your equipment, I guess, but still, more than a couple of thousand of euros worth, and I too did spend a lot of personal time improving things doing some mods.

I think you'll probably benefit from a break. I'm pretty sure that when you'll be ready again, and the thought of it won't upset you anymore (well, not that much at least), you'll find a way forward.

In my case it was... well, I wouldn't say "beneficial", but I was able to get new equipment more suited to my needs, focusing on transportability and lightness.

I really hope you'll be able to recover as much as you can, and the best of luck on whatever you choose to do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A truly dreadful story, so sorry to hear about this. Let us know how you get on and what you decide - you know there is and endless well of support, knowledge and encouragement on SGL. I have not had anything so disastrous happen to me, the nearest was dropping my brand new mount ten feet onto solid concrete. I could have cried, but the mount survived, and after a strip down, is now in regular use and the incident a distant memory. A different scale I know, but I think it will take you less time than you think to get back up and running. I’m crossing my fingers that you feel more positive in a few days time. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a fellow RASArian I can only imagine the horror I would feel. I see you have decided to give it a go again, good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim

Really sorry to read your posts here, a not nice experience.

Fully understood your initial reaction, it’s emotional, but glad you have listened to the advice given and giving it a dry and try, I hope you are pleasantly surprised and all turns out better than expected, 🤞 Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Jim

Really sorry to read your posts here, a not nice experience.

Fully understood your initial reaction, it’s emotional, but glad you have listened to the advice given and giving it a dry and try, I hope you are pleasantly surprised and all turns out better than expected, 🤞 Alan

Thank you Alan, I am not there yet, I had a good nights sleep and I will endeavour to do a rescue, I have not been back out since yesterdays roof repair, still raining here and if I go out in that I know I will just walk away from it all so I will wait till it stops and take stock, try a clean up of the small stuff.  The RASA and mount I will wait out on, dry them off and attempt a startup, turn RASA down and empty it, afraid it is the only way as too heavy for me.  A rescue plan is in place but will depend on the damage, so a waiting game, thanks again.

Jim

Edited by JimT
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JimT said:

since I came on and told what had happened I have been turning towards getting sorted, have never been a quitter

Jim, I'm glad to see this. I feel your pain as last January 22nd my wife and I woke to a burst pipe in the house and spend much of 2017 getting everything back in order. Thankfully we were fuly insured so other than some small policy excess that wasn't an issue, just the mess and emotional strain. Being our home we had no choice but to work through it which we finally achieved in October.

Do you have access to a dehumidifier? I live about 1 hour from you and would happily pull mine from my obs and lend it to you if that would help in any way. Good luck, Geof

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

Jim, I'm glad to see this. I feel your pain as last January 22nd my wife and I woke to a burst pipe in the house and spend much of 2017 getting everything back in order. Thankfully we were fuly insured so other than some small policy excess that wasn't an issue, just the mess and emotional strain. Being our home we had no choice but to work through it which we finally achieved in October.

Do you have access to a dehumidifier? I live about 1 hour from you and would happily pull mine from my obs and lend it to you if that would help in any way. Good luck, Geof

Geof, thank you so much for that offer, very nice but I can get one local, would not like you on the roads today, especially New Years Eve, Suffolk's roads are not my favourite cup of tea :).  One way or another this will be sorted, I will keep all informed on my steps, again thank you for the offer.

Jim

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JimT said:

The lads have been very supportive and to be honest since I came on and told what had happened I have been turning towards getting sorted, have never been a quitter and have been in worse scrapes in my life

That's really great news.

Your initial reaction was natural and one every one of us would have felt. Sometimes it takes a little time to stand back, cool off and put it in to perspective to then make a balanced decision. 

I do hope you can recover most or even some of the gear as experience and desire is something that will make it all worthwhile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to read a more positive tone from you. My observatory burnt to the ground and only the door padlock was reusable. Have you checked to see if it is covered by your house insurance? I found mine was.

Regards Andrew 

PS forgot the steel pier that was ok although some of the concrete base had splintered off.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really sorry to read of your disaster but so pleased to see that you have turned this around in your mind and are now looking more positively at the issue. Try and bring some of the gear inside and put it in a warm room or airing cupboard. Remove as many 'access covers' as you can to help with the natural drying process. Even better, introduce a 'laundry' feature dehumidifier into the warm room. You will be amazed how electronics can recover from a disaster like this and with regard to the RASA, think of the issue in terms of 'once the water is poured out of it, it is just a damp telescope' - nothing new there!

Use the drying out time to take a break from the hobby and recover your confidence so that you will be better prepared to resolve the last of the problems as they arise.

Happy New Year, Jim.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see a "recovery" thread on this incident as being hugely valuable for anyone suffering such a setback.   :icon_biggrin:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your input, the last few hours I have spent with Tich a fellow member of SGL who is over here for a couple of days.  We ventured into the observatory, my first since I walked away from it, the equipment is still waterlogged but stable as the roof is holding, I earlier ventured up on the roof and placed a number of bricks at strategic places so no movement.  Tich has given me a lift in morale and I thank him for that, I have a plan for the next week with plenty of room in the house to move items to, strip and clean as necessary.  I will keep you all informed as time goes by, I believe I can see a light at the end of this dark tunnel, again thank you all  

Jim

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dreadful thing to happen, I am so pleased as I read through this thread that you are feeling more positive about things.  As stated by others and having knowledge of some-else this happened to, that once dried out that much of it will be reusable.

Some lessons perhaps to be learnt from this bad experience though and maybe I should also take note of it.  Even with an obsy, it might be wise to put a cover over the scope,  then if the roof leaks (or worse) you have some added protection.   I normally bring most of my kit indoors when I go on holiday as a precaution against obsy burglars, and indeed sometimes hide what I can inside the house.  

Hope to hear some positive news in due course. 

Carole

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many things will work perfectly if given time to dry out.  Even electronics as long as it was not powered up when it got wet.  Just let it all dry out thoroughl

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.. even when you think you've given it plenty of drying time, give it some more.  When you think it is dry put it at the top of the airing cupboard for a week.  You'll be amazed at how robust electronics are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sad to read about this. Hope you do not pack up on this great hobby Jim. As many others have said you maybe very surprised at what will work. Good luck and hope you are okay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi jim,

glad you can see light at the end of the tunnel, always best to sleep on these things and look at them in the light of a new day.

I would like to recommend a cover for your scope too, I have a roll off and is (hopefully) secured but you can never tell. I bought a cheap BBQ cover from a local garden centre and it works a treat, even has the draw string underneath.

Hope all goes well and keep us informed of your progress, and finally happy new year!

All the best,

Neil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have a cover for my scope which I use at astro camps.  I bought it from ENS optical, around £32, it's quite substantial, I am now thinking I should use it inside the obsy as well.  

Carole 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, carastro said:

Yes, I have a cover for my scope which I use at astro camps.  I bought it from ENS optical, around £32, it's quite substantial, I am now thinking I should use it inside the obsy as well.  

Carole 

You have to balance safety and security against usability.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.