Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have a decent Manfrotto mount and the 222 trigger grip, which works well with all my binoculars.
The 15x70 Ultra's  were next on my shopping list, however, I'm continually having doubts, do I really need them?
Their based on the BA-8 series, and brands like Helios, Celestron have similar binoculars.

Check this out.......  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6keFVqJ_K2U

20 hours ago, allen g said:

does anyone have knowledge of these binos and the manfrotto monopod (and ball head).  very much appreciated.  

The Obie Ultra is the same as the binocular sold this side of the pond as the Helios Apollo. Very highly regarded, as a search in this forum will attest. I use a Manfrotto #679 monopod and #222 head - easily good enough for that binocular.

The Manfrotto 222 does have a ball and is fully adjustable for tension and movement, even has a cut-out for extreme elevation?
Not sure the 222 is available brand new, but searching the internet may find a good one, mine was mint when it arrived, very fortunate. I'm sure there are other ball head type accessories, but the 222 is a solid piece of kit.

18 hours ago, Charic said:

Not sure the 222 is available brand new,

Unlikely, as it has been superseded by an "upgraded" model - which may be better for cameras, but it isn't better for binoculars. As you say, good used examples are available.

The 222 trigger grip is indeed a quality piece of kit,  but I’ve also a couple of these and found them more than up to the task of supporting a 70mm binocular......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-10088448-Rotation-Camcorder-kilograms/dp/B01M8FQU5E/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514724700&sr=8-2-fkmr3&keywords=trigger+grip+ball+head

If my memory serves me correctly, Steve Tonkin has uploaded a very useful manual for the above on his website (The Binocular Sky)

Ooh, that's a darned good price! The difference between the Manfrotto and the Neewer are:
* The Neewer tends to slacken after a while, and needs re-adjusting.
* The ball on the Neewer is less smooth.
* The Manfrotto has an adjustment to adjust the tension when the trigger-grip is activated.

The "very useful manual" :D is here.

+1 for the Amazon trigger grip. I have the "Ravelli" branded version bought from Amazon about 3 years ago, (with excellent extending tripod included for under £40 at the time), and it's an amazing setup for the money. I've used it with Tento 20x60s which are fairly hefty, and it was rock solid.

Dave

IMG_20171124_154132979.jpg

IMG_20171124_154146995.jpg

thanks chaps, I am seriously considering the oberwerk 15 x70 with a monopod.  I like those trigger grips.  The 222 is no made by manfrotto - they now make a joystick type but don't think would work for binoculars.  Hard to find others but will check the above out.  Oberwerk has one and think it was originally made by a company named Garrett.  After using a TV NP-101 for so long and will continue to use hope not disappointed with the binos. 

I used to have the Helios Apollo 15x70 binoculars, and the only reason I replaced them was that I could get a pair of Helios LightQuest HR 16x80 binoculars, which weigh just a shade more, but grab 30% more light. I use them either hand held, on a Benro monopod with Falcon ballhead and pistol grip, or on a P-mount. 

IMAG1178.jpg

On 12/30/2017 at 11:45, BinocularSky said:

The Obie Ultra is the same as the binocular sold this side of the pond as the Helios Apollo. Very highly regarded, as a search in this forum will attest. I use a Manfrotto #679 monopod and #222 head - easily good enough for that binocular.

And this side there's this extensive write-up, albeit from several years back

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/cn-reports/binocular-reports/cn-report-oberwerk-ultra-15x70-r1483

We wanted these 5 years ago. Here's a comparo of sorts by him on specific targets

https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/cat/articles/observing-skills/4-binocular-observing-report-r786

There doesn't seem to be much since then. Maybe EdZ is on hiatus?

• 2 weeks later...

thank you very informative.  As I noted above the manfrotto 222 is no longer produced but now they have the 322rc2 - any using it?  Also, does anyone know how the oberwerk or helios compares to the new AP 16 x 70?  

11 hours ago, allen g said:

thank you very informative.  As I noted above the manfrotto 222 is no longer produced but now they have the 322rc2 - any using it?

Entirely different beast, and uses different muscles because of the angle of your hand. I much prefer the 222 for heavy stuff (like unbalanced binoculars). I'd far rather have a used 222 or one of the Chinese versions than the 322rc2.

Also, does anyone know how the oberwerk or helios compares to the new AP 16 x 70?  

The Obies and Helios are BA8s; the APs appear to be the MS series, same as the Lunts, but with rubber armour. (Note that Roland's review on the AP website is for the BA8.) I did a 2 part comparison here and here - in my opinion, the MS is noticeably better than the BA8. According to @Damo636 (IIRC; I think it was he), the APM ED version is even better. Over at CN, the main whinge about the MS is that they aren't as well balanced as the BA8. In my opinion, that is rubbish: it is evident that those who claim that are holding the binoculars around the prism housings, which is probably the only place not to routinely hold astronomical binoculars - if you're not going to mount them, hold them by the objective barrels for near-horizontal stuff and by method 2 on this page for anything above about 10*.

HTH

Archived