Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Kaliska

12v Power Board

Ok, so I'm looking at getting all my gear mounted on the telescope as having all those wires hanging off it is just too untidy for me. I've just got my mini pc up and running, so the final thing to do is the power distribution box to the pc, mount, camera (700D) and dew heater. The Rigrunner looks great, but expensive, but I found this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132226766499?chn=ps&dispctrl=0&adgroupid=48513099489&rlsatarget=pla-381494500956&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=7309454&poi=9041128&googleloc=9045040&device=c&campaignid=856936013&crdt=0

Anyone with any electronic/electrical experience (which I have none) think this would be safe to use?

Edited by Kaliska

The mini pc runs off 12v and 3A...so I'm guessing (correct me if I am wrong) the 10A wouldn't be advisable?

Hi Kaliska,

Electrically, it looks to be safe and would provide good connections. From a practical standpoint there is the chance of getting your + and - connectors mixed up if your plugging up in the dark which would cause damage to some of your equipment. The other point is dew forming on the surface and possibly running down the gaps where the fuses are plugged in which would lead to corrosion. You could cover the fuses with some insulating tape or similar to stop this.

Your mini PC probably consumes in reality significantly less than 3A so a 3A fuse in its feed would be recommended.

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Thanks 1

Have a PW100, the enclosure is plastic - would have preferred metal, fuses are covered - but all 30 amp, so you would want to change them to suit your gear 

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2017 at 19:22, Kaliska said:

The mini pc runs off 12v and 3A...so I'm guessing (correct me if I am wrong) the 10A wouldn't be advisable?

10A is the capacity that socket can provide, not the amount that the device will consume.

5A device on a 10A socket? No issue. 10A device on a 5A socket? Bad times (overload of wiring leading to blown fuse, smoking wire insulation, potentially fire).

54 minutes ago, Ajhayter said:

10A is the capacity that socket can provide, not the amount that the device will consume.

5A device on a 10A socket? No issue. 10A device on a 5A socket? Bad times (overload of wiring leading to blown fuse, smoking wire insulation, potentially fire).

But what if there was a power surge for whatever reason? The fuse would only pop when it hits above 10A somewhere and my 3A mini pc would be smoking and crackling in the corner. Or am i thinking of this completely wrong? I am bad at electronics btw :)

Basically fuses are to protect the wiring.  Fuses won't stop an over-voltage condition killing your electronics.

• Like 4

Gina's right, though I think Kaliska was referring to a current surge rather that a voltage surge. Modern mains powered 12V supplies should be reasonably protected against over voltage. The power wiring to the mini pc would probably be quite thin and be about 3A rating anyway so a 3A fuse also seems sensible. If in your working with your PC you accidentally shorted something out and blew the 3A fuse there's a reasonable chance your PC will survive. If the fuse was 10A it's most likely something in the PC including some PCB tracks would start smoking long before the fuse even considered blowing. If the fuse is only supplying power to one item it's reasonable to fuse it according to the rating of that item rather than just the wiring going to it. The 3A is the best fuse to use in this situation Kaliska :smile:.

Alan 

Edited by symmetal
  • Thanks 1