Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The moon was high in Cetus. After some grappling with the terminator, I visited some old favourites in this well hidden area. 30 ft oak tree does hide a lot !

Kaffaljidhma (γ) (SAO 110707) gave a beautiful delicate secondary.
Σ186 (SAO 110235) giving a difficult .7" peanut, notes indicated that I could split this at 1.0" a few years back.
66 Ceti ( SAO 129752) giving beautiful contrast .
42 Ceti (SAO 129235) gave a clean split  of this eruptive variable star. 

High thin cloud closed in and a moon bleached sky was not the best . I found a wide 30" binary , the primary was a deep orange . Just can't find any details. Getting out later on showed a really clear sky, before very heavy rain returned. 
A poor little session, but Cetus does have some beautiful binaries, under a happy new year, clear skies !
Nick.

I had a look at these four double stars tonight. Conditions weren't ideal for double star observing as the telescope was taking quite a buffeting from the blustery wind.

Kaffaljidhma (γ Ceti) was a challenging split. Not only is the separation tight at 1.9" but the secondary star is faint compared with the primary (magnitude 3.5). The secondary appeared to be orange. Split at x166 when the wind stopped for a minute.

Couldn't spilt Σ186 or even see any elongated shape. Got up to x200 magnification.

66 Ceti was an easy split if I was looking at it properly. A yellow and dull blue star. According to the Eagle Creek Observatory website the separation is 16.2" but Stellarium if I read it right says that the separation is a minuscule 0.022"!

42 Ceti has a small separation at only 1.6" but the split is helped in that both stars appear to be of similar magnitude.

Thanks @cotterless45 for once again inspiring observing some great targets.

Archived