Narrowband

Skywatcher 150 PL

Lasers cause more problems for people learning too collimate then not reading posts.

Orion it one of the most iconic things up there, a nebular visible with binoculars. Enjoy it with the Moon up it might be more about recognising where it is then the detail.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/01/2018 at 21:14, CluelessSkywatcher said:

I’m sorry, tell me if I’m being stupid, what is Orion?

Not stupid at all!

Orion is one of the best winter constellations and contains one of the brightest deep sky objects there is to see, M42 or the Great Orion Nebula.

If you look South at 9pm you should see the three stars forming Orion's Belt, and from there should be able to work out the rest of the constellation, highlighted in the first image.

Look below the belt and you will see three smaller stars forming his sword. The middle star of these three contains the nebulae. If you can get your scope pointing at this you will see it, although it will be much better when the moon goes away!

Low mag will help you find it and see the overall shape, higher mag and you should be able to see the four tiny stars in the middle of the Nebula forming what is called the Trapezium.

IMG_6491.PNG

IMG_6493.PNG

IMG_6494.PNG

IMG_6495.PNG

Archived