Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 150 PL

On 31/12/2017 at 17:09, JOC said:

It just half an idea, but you have actually inserted an eyepiece haven't you.  

Hey,

I did insert an eyepiece, but thanks for the advice :-)

Mine don't actually come in mm, but says something like wide eyepiece. I got 3 altogether I'll post a pic tomorrow, I'm unsure of which to start with

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, if that was a bit obvious, but I bet its been done, along with looking into the wrong bit of the scope!  However, a FOV view like a pinhead still sounds odd, almost as though something is upside down, i.e. like looking into the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. Or maybe something critical is missing, though if your BF got it collimated surely the person doing that would have spotted if something was missing, I therefore would stick that in the category of possible but unlikely.  I did once mount an eyepiece in mine and forgot to take off the bottom end cap - if this happened and it had a hole in I guess the FOV would be small.  Also, my barlow has a cap which sort of fits inside the object itself and its really tricky to pull out.  It might be worth revisiting the optical pathway and seeing if there is a cap or filler or bit of packing in the way at some point which hasn't been taken out.  

You may even find you can hold a mobile phone camera up to the eyepiece and take a picture so we can see what you can see :-)  which may also help the experts find an answer.  I'm sure collomation would shift that easily, but Astrobaby's collimation guide would quckly 7solve that issue 

10 hours ago, JOC said:

Sorry, if that was a bit obvious, but I bet its been done, along with looking into the wrong bit of the scope!

Nothing is too obvious for myself hahah! I’m completely new to this.

Following on from last night, here are the photos: 

with regards to the lenses, I mainly use the 2 x Barlow Lense. 153E37EB-FA0C-48E2-A1CE-014EAD8D2491.thumb.jpeg.c48a1f12bc1807b08ce8530022af5887.jpeg

The second image, I have no idea what it is. It’s metal and quite weighty, I’ve tried to fit it but I don’t know where it goes, I’ve looked online too with no luck.

The third image (I’m unsure if it is helpful) but it’s the FOV taken through my camera, I know it’s pointed at the wall but it gives you an indication - that is with the Barlow Lense.

When I took it to the optics they mentioned nothing about any issues with the scope, I was asking questions but I didn’t get much luck with them, they said I can call if I have any problems, so it might be worth doing that :-)

Also, thank you for taking  your time to help me out!

FCE24A52-A1B9-4F35-BAF4-4C4E90A8EAFA.jpeg

CBAE83B0-5A3D-409D-8BA6-7EC3247A287F.jpeg

Super 10 is 10mm the other is 25mm eyepiece and would give the lowest magnification and the one to start with.

Focal length of telescope/eyepiece focal length = magnification.

The barlow adds more magnification but I'd leave it in the box and it is to be used with an eyepiece it does not work by it self.

It's great you have the telescope.

The barlow is not an eyepiece, you cannot look directly through it. You can either put an eyepiece into the focuser or put the barlow into the focuser and then put an eyepiece into the barlow. 

The collimation could be thrown by the journey, transporting the telescope is the most usual cause for needing a recollimation. It is difficult to tell how yours is from the photo as you've taken it off centre but in the first instance I would just take it out as it is and use it.

The white metal bit that you're unsure of looks like the part that goes between the counterweight shaft and the mount. See the picture below where you've got the counterweight shaft with the weights at the bottom and what looks like your mystery part at the top.

skywatcher_EQ3-2_mount.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

The collimation could be thrown by the journey, transporting the telescope is the most usual cause for needing a recollimation. 

See the picture below where you've got the counterweight shaft with the weights at the bottom and what looks like your mystery part at the top.

What a nightmare! I thought the lock in screws would keep it all in place. Okay I need to get the Cheshire eye piece to collimate it myself, the optics shop is an hour away, so it will knock it out of place everything I go home.

And thank you! You are right! It’s been getting on my nerves for a while! All sorted now :-)

If you have never focused a telescope before, the easiest way to do it is to point it at a distant object (at least several hundred yards away) in daylight. A high contrast object like tree branches or a TV aerial against the sky works best. Put the 25mm eyepiece in, put your eye close against the eyepiece, and twiddle the focus knob to and fro till you get focus. If you don't get a result, check that some part of the focuser moves in and out as you twiddle. If it doesn't, try to figure why not from the instructions, or ask us (with photo).  If the best focus appears to be at further than the focuser wants to go, then either you are looking at an object that's too close, or you need to remove or insert some piece of tube to get the eyepiece in the right position (check the instructions or ask us, with photos).

At night, it is easier to focus on a very bright star or planet. Out of focus it will appear as a bright disk with a dark hole in the middle. Twiddle the focuser in the direction that makes it smaller. Simple!  Focusing on an out of focus Moon is not so easy.

I recommend checking out the various Youtube videos for newbie telescope users. In some of  these, the demonstrators show you how a telescope like yours is supposed to work.  A picture is worth 1000 words, it is said.

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

it does not work by it self

That was immediately what I thought when I read this:

2 hours ago, CluelessSkywatcher said:

with regards to the lenses, I mainly use the 2 x Barlow Lense.

This could be why the OP isn't seeing anything - ditch the Barlow (for the time being) and put the 25 super eyepiece directly into the focus unit and try it - there might be (and probably is) nothing terribly wrong with the collimation - looking at your photo mine was far worse that that when I got it and I still saw all I pointed it at quite clearly - it just got marginally sharper once I'd collimnated - I wouldn't play with the collimation any more until you've sorted looking through it - I am sure on the basis of my own experience (and I'm a newby too) that you will be fine for the time being.   

Take it outside during the daytime and see if you can get a decent view of a tree across a field or something like that.  The eyepiece might be difficult to look into - you sometimes need to get right over the top of them and possibly quite close to it with your eye - it might take a little bit of up and down with your head until you find the right spot.  I bet if you put the Super 25 directly into the focus unit and point the telescope at a tree and then twizzle the focus knobs until the tree is clear - It might be upside down or left to right wrong, but don't worry about that  - it's meant to be (just mind the sun - the opposite direction is best) - this might take a lot a twizzling until you are in business though- if you see the cross in the end of the telescope don't wory just keep twizzling the knobs and eventually you will get focus.

OK, do all above (lose the Barlow for the moment) and what all the others suggest and I bet the next posting we get will start with "WOW!!"  :-D

6 hours ago, CluelessSkywatcher said:

The second image, I have no idea what it is. It’s metal and quite weighty, I’ve tried to fit it but I don’t know where it goes, I’ve looked online too with no luck.

Have a look at the image posted by @Ricochet you will see this piece at the end of the counterweight shaft, it screws onto the counterweight shaft.

It might be worth a short explanation in as many words on the Barlow.  As already noted by numerous posters is is not an eyepiece, or something that is designed to be used by itself.  In time, when you are up and running, you will find that if you then put the Barlow into the focus unit and then place either of eyepieces into the top of the Barlow that it will double the 'magnification' of the eyepiece that you use in it.  So it is something designed to be used with an eyepiece, not instead of.   To begin with it is always easier to start with the least magnification which is why folks are advising to put the Barlow back in its box and just start with the 25 Super eyepiece.  

38 minutes ago, CluelessSkywatcher said:

Okay Barlow ditched, alignment of the finder scope and telescope, just waiting for a clear night!

Have you tried focusing on something during the day (opposite direction to the sun) - its really worth doing.  If you can get a nice view during the day you will not have a problem at night

On 18/01/2018 at 10:42, CluelessSkywatcher said:

What a nightmare! I thought the lock in screws would keep it all in place. Okay I need to get the Cheshire eye piece to collimate it myself, the optics shop is an hour away, so it will knock it out of place everything I go home.

And thank you! You are right! It’s been getting on my nerves for a while! All sorted now :-)

Kayleigh,

Forget about the colllimation for now. It may be spot or slightly out but it won't stop you using the scope! Don't try collimating it yourself until you have used the scope as it is now! Just put the topic of collimation out of your mind. :) (collimation is easily checked at night using a bright star, but this is a tale to tell you after a few nights out with your scope)

Glad you have aligned the finder and scope, does this mean you have managed to see something in the daytime? (stick to the 25mm wide field eyepiece until you are familiar with how it all works in the dark, it will be much simpler)

- the widefield, low power view means that you see more sky and have a greater chance to find your target and get it centered in the view

- only once you have centered in the low power should you change to the 10mm high power. Expect to have to refocus the scope when you swap the 2 eyepieces

- I would leave the Barlow in the house for the first couple of nights out. It just adds confusion. When you want to practice with the Barlow AND an eyepiece then do it in the daytime. It really is easier for you to understand HOW magnification is changed by swapping eyepieces if you are looking at a familiar target such as a tree or a wall as you see the branches, stones get larger,smaller. Trying to understand this at night using stars is not as easy!

- as said above Never use the Barlow on its own! It's not an eyepiece 

Lastly. do consider buying the book "turn left at Orion" (if you don't have it already), as it will help you find things and shows sketches of what you see in a small scope eyepiece. (Priceless)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516527387&sr=8-1&keywords=turn+left+at+orion+book

- get the spiral bound version, it's made to take outside :) 

Luckily the moon is waxing now so at least there is a big target to practice your skills on.

Good luck (and do post back with a report or two...),

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys! So saw on the news about this blood moon, I was like okay, let’s check it out! It was super cloudy but that didn’t put me off, I went out with my scope in my garden with my 25mm and I got it! 

After this, I listened to your advice about the Barlow and thought I would give it a try! Got some better detail and closer views!

So happy, thank you all so much for your advice, I honestly would have given up by now!

Now I’ve come this far, what else should I be looking out for, and what things are cool to see?

let me know if I should be asking under a different topic!

Once again, thank you so so much!

AB9196F1-8C3B-452C-80BE-7AA50CDCE80D.jpeg

12152C22-3B73-40FD-8B1D-E7426BDEC187.jpeg

On 21/01/2018 at 09:33, alanjgreen said:

Good luck (and do post back with a report or two...),

Alan

Hey Alan,

first and foremost, thank you for this info, it is extremely helpful! Particularly about the eyepieces, it has given me a way better understanding :)

many have told me to purchase this book and it is most certainly on my wish list! It is my next purchase!

yes that is correct also, I managed to align my finder with my scope but it is out still ever so slightly, I guess that one is practice!

youll be pleased to know I found the moon tonight, very happy to tell you all!

Kaleigh

Did you find the Astrobaby collimation tutorial, I have a SW130PDS which needs collimating and always follow her tutorial which is excellent.

By the way you asked if the collimation could be out after travelling in the car.  It could be, but until you have a Cheshire it will be difficult for you to check it precisely, but do look at Astrobaby's tutorial as you might be able to do it with the collimation cap.

Lots of people use laser collimators, but after having broken the first one I had I decided to stick with a Cheshire. 

Carole 

Archived