SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Driven Mount for a 120mm Refractor

astro_al

I currently have a 120mm refractor mounted on a Giro Ercole and a Berlebach UNI tripod. At higher magnifications I am getting a bit too much shaking when focussing, and having to frequently nudge the mount along is more distracting than I hoped it would be. The same sort of alt-az setup is perfect for my smaller refractor, but I am thinking about swapping out the larger set-up for a driven mount. 

Not too bothered about Goto, won’t be doing any astrophotography, and will have a maximum load of 10KG. Ideally should have or should support an upgrade to a Losmandy saddle. I was thinking about a Losmandy GM-8 with the digital drive option (top end of my budget), I also keep coming back to the Skywatcher AZ EQ5-GT as I like alt-az style observing plus it is cheaper and I keep telling myself that for visual observing I don’t need to go overboard on the mount i.e. keep some astro funds for new binoviewers or another scope. 

I have read a few negative comments on SGL about the GM-8, but that could be from an astrophotography perspective - not sure. Anyway, I would appreciate any input for those of you with either a GM-8 or an AZ EQ5-GT or if you have a 120mm ish refractor mounted on something else that you think is a good fit. @F15Rules already suggested a Takahashi EM-2 which looks awesome, but I think I would be lucky to find a non-goto Tak Mount like an EM-2 or EM-10. Although you never know what a wanted add might turn up!

Thanks for your help.

Al

Hi again Al,

Agree the Tak non gotos are rare in the UK.

How about the beefed up Vixen GP DX? The Vixen GPs are superbly engineered and the DX is, I believe, rated at 10kg payload.

Dweller25 on this site has his FS128 on one I think..

HTH,

Dave

I use an AZ-EQ 6 with my 125mm (f9) achro, mostly for visual. I think it supports up to around 18kg for imaging and c. 25kg for visual. Will take vixen and losmandy. Very robust and steady.  Bit pricier than an AZ-eq 5, but way cheaper than a GM :).

6 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

How about the beefed up Vixen GP DX? The Vixen GPs are superbly engineered and the DX is, I believe, rated at 10kg payload.

I have been looking at the GPDX as there is one on UKABS at the moment. I would be right at the limit of its load capacity though. 

7 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

A second hand EQ6 goto would fit the bill- you should pick one up for around £600 used. Plenty of capacity for a 120mm refractror and more. Don't rule goto mounts- in my experience they save so much time finding targets!

Thanks. Definitely wouldn’t rule out a mount that has Goto, it is just not a requirement. I have read a lot of good things about the EQ6. 

6 minutes ago, Marki said:

I use an AZ-EQ 6 with my 125mm (f9) achro, mostly for visual. I think it supports up to around 18kg for imaging and c. 25kg for visual. Will take vixen and losmandy. Very robust and steady.  Bit pricier than an AZ-eq 5, but way cheaper than a GM :).

The AZ-EQ 6 is getting close to the GM-8 (non GoTo) in price and is possibly a bit too heavy for me. It does look good though. 

11 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

A second hand EQ6 goto would fit the bill- you should pick one up for around £600 used. Plenty of capacity for a 120mm refractror and more. Don't rule out goto mounts- in my experience they save so much time finding targets!

Good suggestion. Steve Bennett (Saganite on SGL) has my ex scope on the older, black EQ6 non-goto version.. the scope is  5" D&G F15 achromat fully 2m long, with Moonlite 2" focuser, and weighing around 12-14 kg depending on finder and eyepieces.

I have seen these older ones now and again used for c£300.

Dave

15 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I have been looking at the GPDX as there is one on UKABS at the moment. I would be right at the limit of its load capacity though. 

In my experience both Tak and Vixen mounts are conservatively rated, and over-engineered versus their stated tolerances?.

Dave

14 minutes ago, astro_al said:

The AZ-EQ 6 is getting close to the GM-8 (non GoTo) in price and is possibly a bit too heavy for me. It does look good though. 

Ah yes - should have looked at the non go-to; not too far off in price although the Az-eq does come with legs. The mount is indeed quite heavy though - I tend to leave mine set up, rather than break ir down after each session for that very reason. Good luck with your choice though :).

12 minutes ago, astro_al said:

I suspect that on a decent tripod, a GP-DX would be a pretty good option. The rating on the Japanese mounts is quite conservative. I had a C925 on a Vixen GP and it coped very well for visual. EQ6 Goto might be easier to find and will do the job well.

I find high power planetary and lunar observing with a simple tracking EQ mount very good, much more relaxing and I see more than when nudging a manual Alt-Az mount.

When I'm star hopping though, an alt-az mount seems far more intutitive and I guess it is generally at low to mid power so nudging to follow the target is less frequent and vibrations less intrusive.

A Celestron CG5 would do the job but it's not as nicely finished as the Vixens of course. I use an older non-GOTO HEQ5 for my TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.2 triplet and that scope is a lot more challenging for a mount than the Tak TSA120 is.

The more up to date Celestron AVX also did a decent job on the TMB/LZOS. I don't have use for GOTO either but it's easy to skip straight to tracking and bypass the GOTO setup with the AVX.

After a short detour on my way back from Yorkshire I now have a GPDX! Less than two days since it was suggested, funny how things sometimes work out ?. Pictured with my smaller scope which I will start with for the first few sessions until I know what I am doing (it’s been at least 10 years since I used a Goto mount). For the larger scope I may put the DX on my UNI tripod and fit the Losmandy saddle from my Ercole - makes it so much easier to get the scope on and off. Hopefully I can get an ADM puck that will play nicely. 

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Al

BE89B8DC-994C-4103-968D-76B8F2DC19F5.jpeg

It turns out that I can use my existing counterweights, and that I can fix the DX to my UNI mount by swapping the 3/8” bolt for a longer M10 bolt and using the head of the original tripod ?. 

Just need to sort out a puck for my Losmandy saddle and I will be all set. 

967F534A-3815-4CA1-B4D2-408B54501A1A.jpeg

Archived