Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Zwo Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector

Relpet

I am really looking forward to trying it again. I was surprised by the relatively small adjustment needed to clear the blue - that is how I judged the proper lever. Literally just one notch on each side was sufficient. But this was in a SCT and our latitude is 10 degrees more south than the UK, you guys really suffer when it comes to the planets.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stu said:

I confess I struggled with the extra faff when I had one, it seemed to get in the way of me enjoying observing but it might be worth trying again. Wonder if they work with binoviewers ok?

They can be a bit of a faff as you need to adjust them periodically both to allow for change in altitude of the object as dispersion varies with altitude and to keep the prisms perpendicular to the horizon, but usually that is only every 15-20 minutes or so as the object rises or sets and less as it transits. I've never used binoviewers, but if the ADC is in train before them, then I see no reason why they woudn't work - would be interested to know though....

17 hours ago, BGazing said:

I understand that the f ratio has to be above 10 either in native mode or with a barlow before the ADC

I posted a thread asking what order to fit barlow, ADC and filter wheel.

Do you have a link to anything than might help me?

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

posted a thread asking what order to fit barlow, ADC and filter wheel.

Do you have a link to anything than might help me?

See the previously posted link to skyinspector article which shows a photo of the sequence (with an Imaging Source Camera),

http://skyinspector.co.uk/atm-dispersion-corrector--adc

Basically the ADC should be the last item in the optical train before the camera or eyepiece, i.e. scope, barlow/PM, ADC, camera/eyepiece. However, be aware that if using a barlow then this will increase magnification as the ADC will bring the image to focus further back. For this reason I prefer to use a TeleVue x2 Powermate (PM), which is better explained in the TV article about using PMs (see below link)

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=53&Tab=_app

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

be aware that if using a barlow then this will increase magnification as the ADC will bring the image to focus further back

I have a decent x3 'barlow' element I normally fit to the body that came with my x2 barlow. I can probably bodge it into.

Very interesting links a - much promise !

I assume then the 'ideal' order is filterwheel-->barlow-->adc-->camera

Archived