SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up, lunar occultation of bright star at 19.20 tonight - 28th December

Stu

Just had a peek at the moon through the binos (looking nice) and noticed a bright star to the East. I checked on SkySafari and it will be occurred by the dark limb of the moon at around 19.20pm this evening, worth a look to see it blink out instantly. Check you local timing as it will differ.

The star is Xi2 Ceti and it is mag 4.3. Sky is beautiful again tonight, looks very transparent again but will only be binos for me tonight.

Thanks Stu - will look out for it :). Looks nice out there and I'm having some fun counting cratrs in Clavius already (welll if you can;t beat the big bright thing, you may as well look right at it :)).

'Scuse typos - fingers are a bit numb!

I enjoyed watching that... *pip* and gone.

I was using my right eye in the newt, keen to explore the terminator but each time I was tempted, the star fell on my blind spot. I tried my left eye for a little, kept the star visible but my mind was wandering, so back to the right eye and just watched the star.

That was a first for me. Thanks for posting.

Yep, gone indeed. Started watching perhaps a little early so was having to try my hardest not to look away to check the time! Caught it nicely though, went out about 19.21:45 I think.

Hopefully it will be clear for Aldebaran in a few days

Just caught it for 1 second literally after just aligning my goto mount with Skysafari. After alignment I slewed to the moon, saw the star for a second, then overshot my fine tuning as I tried to center it in the EP and lost it. By the time I got back the star had been occulted. ???

9 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Just caught it for 1 second literally after just aligning my goto mount with Skysafari. After alignment I slewed to the moon, saw the star for a second, then overshot my fine tuning as I tried to center it in the EP and lost it. By the time I got back the star had been occulted. ???

Shame, should have gone manual for a bit just to catch it.

Hopefully you can catch Aldebaran when it does the same in a few nights

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Is it not early hours of 31st Paul?

How weird. I knew it was due soon and ran it through SkySafari to check the circumstances for my location and I was sure it was on Friday. All I can think is that I was stepping in days rather than hours! 

We'll I'm glad I posted my misinformation here because it my have gone uncorrected and I'd have been waiting a long time on Friday for the moon to leap some degrees over to Aldebaran! 

1 minute ago, Paul M said:

How weird. I knew it was due soon and ran it through SkySafari to check the circumstances for my location and I was sure it was on Friday. All I can think is that I was stepping in days rather than hours! 

We'll I'm glad I posted my misinformation here because it my have gone uncorrected and I'd have been waiting a long time on Friday for the moon to leap some degrees over to Aldebaran! 

Tee hee. These things happen, I once posted a heads up for a shadow transit which occurred after Jupiter had set ;)

At least you've saved that long wait, let's hope for some clear sky, should be quite good to see. 

Archived