Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which scope?

Hi all,

FLO currently have the following scope on offer that fits my budget. 

Skywatcher Explorer 130m on an EQ2 mount.

i previously had a 200p skywatcher dob but it was too bulky for me to transport so I sold it. I’m currently using binoculars.

Is this a good scope and is it a lot easier to transport than the previous dob I had?

thanks

If you are a visual astronomer (not astrophotography) then I would avoid the EQ mount. It will be a pain to setup and a pain to use. You will be forever moving the eyepiece to get it in range of your eye. They also have three parts for you to unload from the car and setup.

the scope you picked is ok for size and portability. You need an AZ mount. AZ will get unloaded in two journeys :) to the car.

i will see what else they have at the same price and edit this post,

i would go for this instead

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-pronto.html

Thank you for your reply. 

I’m only interested in visual astronomy so I take on board your comments about the EQ mount. I also notice it was motorised which i’m assuming is not so important for visual astronomy.

I like the look of the mount in the link you provided. The only problem I have is my very limited budget. Would the stock eye pieces be ok? I previously had to upgrade the stock eyepieces with the dob I owned for greater eye relief. 

I would imagine that they are the same ones as with the skywatcher dob :( 

the 25mm is usually ok and the 10mm is usually pretty weak.

if you keep your eye on second hand then you should be able to pick up something better for 20-25 pounds each.

the pronto is a new mount costing 125 pounds. So you are getting the rest for 74 pounds. Unfortunately pigs don't fly! :) 

Archived