Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

My first target this morning at around 2am was comet C/2017 T1 Heinze. The comet was easily located using sky safari 5 and the Nexus push-to system on my 20" dob.

My notes say

"With the Ethos10 (x200) in the scope, I nudged over to where it should be. Nudged around a bit more… Here it is! The comet appears as a small bright patch around a bright dot central core. There is a lot of faint dust coming off covering a large area making it a fairly faint object overall to see. The dust circle was up to about half the Ethos FOV @x200. There was a possible tail heading east (but this may have been a background or atmospheric distraction – need to see an image to confirm)."

• Like 6

Thanks for the write up, Alan :) How bright was the comet? Do you think this can be seen with smaller apertures?

11 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks for the write up, Alan :) How bright was the comet? Do you think this can be seen with smaller apertures?

Its probably brighter than comet C/2017 O1 (the last one I saw in October) and the conditions were not the best last night so there may be some hope for smaller aperture. But its not a bright comet for sure (big & diffuse).

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Thanks 1

Was looking at this..not visually...last night,very fast moving,but with the moon didnt even attempt to observe it.

I had another crack at C/2017 T1 Heinze tonight. It was located in Cassiopia.

I was using the 20" dob. It was 2230 and the moon was starting to brighten in the east :( 

Wow, it was hard to find! Sky Safari had it sitting next to a bright star which I centered on. Nope. (Who works out these published brightnesses???)

Eventually, after a few passes I caught it in averted vision. It was a small fuzzy patch sitting to the right of two bright stars (Phew).

I tried a few different magnifications but it didn't improve. Best view was ethos10 (x200) for me.

C/2016 R2 PANSTARRS was better (see my other post).

I will try to keep popping back now the moon is on the wain (Hurrah!)

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HaleBopp2007
      So, ATLAS has disintegrated, and it won't provide us a great show in May. But there's another comet that could reach naked-eye visibility in the same time that ATLAS' debris reach perihelion. It's C/2020 F8 (SWAN). It's had an outburst recently and it could reach 3rd or even 2nd mag. And it's looking pretty good from the southern hemisphere! Here, in the north, we'll be the only ones that will see the perihelion of the comet.

So let's see if we're lucky this time... No one knows what could happen, but I have hope. It was only discovered on March 25th, so there's still time to see how this comet reacts.
    • By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      I and my girlfriend are now drawing plans to catch the comet C/2019 Y4 Atlas on photo. It's just a few weeks until it reach it's maxima for us living in the Northern hemisphere. We belive there are a lot of others that plan to do the same. We use my travel mount Star Adventurer and two cameras with telephoto lenses, a bit overloaded but easy to bring to a dark place.
      I have updated my comet page with examples that belong to this comet. Maybe could be interesting or of some help for you ? UK isn't far away from Sweden and the circumstances not to different from ours in Sweden.
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-comet-photography-planning/tutorial-comet-photography-planning.html
      I have also this comet related page that I wrote long time ago:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-find-comets/tutorial-find-comets.html
      We wish all of you a clear sky and that you get nice photos of the comet !
      Lars and Gunilla
    • By Photosbykev
      Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS), currently 160 million kilometers away from the earth and motoring along quite nicely. This short timelapse consists of 100 x 60 second images taken over 150 minutes with a ASI533MC-Pro camera and William Optics Zenithstar 61 refractor captured with APT and post processed using PixInsight Blink for the animation. The bright star lower right is Althiba IV

Comet C2019 Y4 ATLAS.mp4
    • By QuantumEcho
      A friend had sent me these images. The object wasn't moving, and claims it produced bright flashes. The images were taken with a phone (unfortunately) on the 5th and 6th of January. Perhaps some of you might have a logical answer. He says he doesn't believe it's a UFO (otherwise I probably wouldn't be friends with him anymore), so I doubt it's fabricated.

edit: I should also note that this was taken in Serbia, Kovin, around 1AM. 

• By robin_astro
      A spectrum of Comet 46P (Wirtanen) with the ALPY600. 

The raw spectrum image before sky background subtraction. Note as well as the comet spectrum, the bright Na D line from local light pollution and other auroral lines from natural airglow
      The coma extended beyond the length of the slit so a separate sky spectrum was recorded and subtracted

The Spectrum of the bright central region is dominated by the scattered light from the sun while the spectrum of the extended coma is mainly emission from excited molecules such as CN (The very bright line in the UV), C3,  C2 (The Swan bands which give the coma its blue green colour) and NH2

By removing the emission component from the spectrum of the central region and dividing it by the spectrum of a sunlike star recorded the same evening, the reflectance spectrum of the dust can be extracted

Robin

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.