Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star trails

Hi all

I would like to try and capture star trails but i am really not too sure about how to go about it. I have a canon 1300d and have a remote shutter. Could any one give me some tips on approprite settings or.is there a guide somewhere?

Thanks

ALAN

It very basically amounts to you getting a lomg exposure set of images then stitching them together. Many will aim the camera at the NCP (North Celestreal Pole).

HOWEVER there is software to do it. do not ask why!!! Which I think is called "Star Trails". With that I think you take more shorter exposures and it will stitch the images together and fill in the gaps.

I say don't ask why as the person who talked about it to us one night was really really impressed and couldn't stop singing its praised. I sat there thinking how useless it was. Who wants star trails. Different point of view I suppose.

Star trails do show the star colours up very nicely however.

star Trails can create lovely images particularly if there is something interesting in the foreground. Take a look at the current imaging challenge #8 for some great star trails images.

If you do not have any processing software then startrails is free and GIMP for any post processing. Also take a look at Sequator.

Archived