Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

orion xt8 dobsonian

Friends

how is Orion xt8 dobsonian telescope with following accessories

Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope -
2. Orion 25mm Sirius Plossl eyepiece + Collimating Cap + Cleaning kit + Toolkit - (India 2012)
3. Solar filter for XT8 -
4. 9x50 ORION Correct image Right angle Finder -
5. Meade Series 5000 Ultra Wide Angle 5.5mm 1.25 inch Eyepiece, 82 Degree Field of View -
6. Celestron 10mm Luminos Series 1.25" Eyepiece -
7. X-CEL LX 1.25" 3X BARLOW LENS -
8. 2" Orion UltraBlock Narrowband Eyepiece Filter -
9. Orion 1.25" Variable Polarizing Eyepiece Filter -

this is a second hand piece .

what should be the cost for this roughly as a used telescope

thnx

I'm afraid I can't answer the price question for your part of the world but that does look like a good set of kit for visual observing, covering a lot of bases. If you get it I would just take care to check the solar filter is intact and fully works before looking at the sun through the scope with it.

17 minutes ago, Paz said:

I'm afraid I can't answer the price question for your part of the world but that does look like a good set of kit for visual observing, covering a lot of bases. If you get it I would just take care to check the solar filter is intact and fully works before looking at the sun through the scope with it.

what are the expectations of space with this telescope. can i be able to see most of the space entities

An 8" Dob like this is an excellent all-round scope - you would be able to view the Moon, planets and many deep sky objects (galaxies, nebulae and clusters). If I was asked what the ideal scope for the beginner was, it would be an 8" Dob like this - it is versatile, reasonably portable and easy to set up and use. It would last you many years without needing to upgrade.

Regarding price, I suggest you look at pricing up a new one plus all the listed accessories and then factor in the age and condition of the one you are looking to purchase - if it is reasonably new and in good condition then perhaps 2/3 to 3/4 of the new price would be reasonable but it is hard to say without knowing the local market for used scopes.

Did you mean to post this in the imaging section? As an imaging scope a dobsonian is worth £0 but as a visual instrument in the UK market each item would be worth 2/3 of the new price, assuming that it is in perfect condition.

I guess if you compare what can be viewed with this telescope from Earth to what Hubble can see then no, it won't see "most of the space entities", but if you compare it to the objects that people talk about on this forum then yes, it will be able to show you most of them. Only those small faint DSOs that require even bigger monster dobsonians will be out of reach. Of course, for viewing any DSOs your local light pollution is likely to be the limiting factor, not the scope. I do not think you will be disappointed in an 8" dob for visual use, unless you have unrealistic expectations of what can be seen through any telescope. It is not a small telescope though, so if you need to carry it a long way to an observing spot something smaller might be used more often.

Seems a reasonable setup although I would expect the 3x barlow to be of little use and not sure what the purpose of the Ultrablock Narrow band filter is.

Ignoring cost what is the arrangement in India if you need a spare for it? In the UK and the US Orion do not support anyone other then the person that initially purchased the scope. They will often ask for proof of being the initial purchaser. So if you lost (say) the tool kit you would not get another one.

You will see everything that is generally talked of and listed in the assorted catalogues. So lets say the Messier catalogue, Caldwell Catalogue and I would expect the Herschell 400. As the catalogues do not include "simple" stars and double stars you have in effect a high number of those to take into account.

This post is in "Imaging". A dobsonian is not an imaging scope. If you intend to add a camera then you do not want a dobsonian.

• 4 months later...

Telescopes don't have value, they have cost. Value is an individual sentiment; worth is, what the 'scope costs. I would say, 1/2 used, if everything works. A machine does not care about your feelings; its only purpose is to work for you, as an electro-mechanical soul-less device. It doesn't love you back.

In the UK pre-owned equipment seems to be offered for sale at around 60% of the retail price when new. In India the pre-owned astro equipment market may well be very different from here in the UK so prices might be higher, or lower.

If the equipment you list was for sale in the UK (and it is quite a comprehensive set) I'd suggest that the price might be around £400 GBP or somewhere around there ?

All the above assumes that the equipment is in excellent condition with no damage, fully working and clean optics.

Archived