Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great seeing in a lovely -34c

jetstream

Wow Wow Wow!!:thumbsup:

The 15" and binos put on a fine show tonight in some very clear and steady skies, but first a few equipment observations. I took the sled out (binos cooling) to set the headlight out on the lake, parking on my frozen slush trails I made. A few turns of a screw and a couple trips got the job done- on the return rides I saw the slush dug up from where I cruised off the trail and it was steaming like no get out. My headlight caught 3 big patches of the stuff sending the steam straight up- quite a sight actually!

The Binotron 27's work great in the cold, all the threads are perfect and the EP holders and adjusters are flawless in these temps. The 32mm TV plossl's/eyeguard extenders are a mainstay with the extended eyerelief being less sensitive to getting frosted up from the eye. Glatters laser worked great but the Tublugs internals slid down without the 2nd locking screw tightened. A quick fix for sure as the "O" ring shrunk in the cold.

What can I say! The views along the terminator were like the highest, sharpest images presented here on SGL-perhaps a bit better?!, with mags around 74x, 132x, 234x and 338x being used. A pair of 18mm and 12.5mm Tak orthos performed superbly tonight as well. The boulder fields were stunning - binoviewing gives a "larger" look at the same mags for an outstanding presentation of the lunar features. Man, the ejecta from a few of those craters were mind boggling in the 3D of the binos!

The 3 hour observing session wound down with the Zeiss zoom and the new 24 ES 68 for a scatter and sharpness comparison. While the Zeiss had less scatter the 24 ES 68 held its own- better than the 6.7 ES 82 we have. The 24mm ES gave very sharp views and barlowed well- this is a keeper! and only a hundred bucks on sale. Into the H130's case it goes.

The ease at which the zoom operates makes mag testing the sky very easy and dare I say well over 400x stayed razor sharp! Really though I seem to prefer lower power views than this for some reason, particularly with the binos.

All in all a pretty good -34c session :thumbsup:

Yesterday morning a nearby town in MN set a new cold temp record, -36 F (-38c), my buddies farm went -40c and I was -38c on the lake. The highs have been around -27c for a few days, but its warmer this morning at -18c here. Last night the views were again VG with an hour of observing before high level ice crystals set in.

Off ice fishing :icon_biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived