Narrowband

Roof design plan

newstargazer01

Hi

currently in process of finishing a building to house my SCT 11inch tube. Currently the scope is housed in a hut. The original plan was for a concrete pier to extend up through to a second level with either direct mounting of my Celestron pro Eq mount onto a pier plate or onto a steel  pier tip. As is stands at present I have a 600mm diameter footer pier onto which I proposed to add a 300-400mm concrete pier up to the second level. 

Ultimately when the decision was being made about a roof I considered a sliding roof hatch but the cost was excessive (7000pounds). My attention then was drawn to a ROR but my builder could not fathom the concept and raised concerns re weather proofing and potential high winds. This finishing touch is now on hold. The roof is closed and the scope is mobile on a dolly to outside the hut. Not the most ideal situation for consistent alignment and permanency.

Does anyone know where I could access or obtain drawn up plans for a ROR. 

I have attached a photo of my hut. I would envisage the roof rolling out over a 4 inch squared steel frame taking it’s support off the barge of the smaller hut attached.

HELP PLEASE

C4CB4C6A-BF4E-43EB-BB7E-6E32B80D5935.jpeg

C92A3037-F3CC-4B2B-AE83-C3E55C885E4B.jpeg

Your general plan seems sound to me. You already have a sloping roof which should help with waterproofing and snow loading. As you suggest, the outer ends of the rails can be supported by the smaller building. There are many ways of ensuring safety during bad weather so this shouldn't be a problem, it will be shut at the time anyway. Looks like you have a good view on a clear day.  :icon_biggrin:

Archived