Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Tyson M

Dec 24 Waxing Crescent approx 31%

Good day all,

I braved the cold (minus 25 degrees Celsiuss) to finally image this phase. I realized most of my prior imaging was near full moons.

This required different techniques, so I am glad I got my chance. Backyard session lasting about 35min before my hands almost fell off haha.

Stellarvue SV60EDS, ASI120mm usb 3.0, SW Star Adventurer

AS!3, Fitswork, Gimp,

Thanks for looking and clear skies!

Cheers from Canada

39313828841_768501a8d3_o.jpg

• Like 3

Nice moon pic.. but -25 degrees!!!!??? did you feel the warmth off it?

• Like 1

Yea it was brutal. The laptop mysteriously crashed with total battery life left still at 2/3. 

The next day it dropped to minus 31 degrees Celsius. We had clear skies but I didn't bother to go out. I am not that crazy .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dont exactly need cooling on the camera do you?! 

Nice pic

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Photosbykev
      The postman was kind to me today and dropped off a William Optics Zenithstar 61 and Flat61A flattener and the gods smiled on me with clear skies for 30 minutes. It would be a shame not to christen the new toys
      I only managed 10 lights so I didn't even consider darks or flats. The 10 lights from the Canon 5D MkIV, shot at iso 1600 x 60 seconds, were stacked and aligned in PS, median filtered for some noise reduction and then a few layer/curves tweaks to pull out some basic detail so I could look at the star profiles and and any vignetting.
      Overall impression is extremely good build quality and the focusing through the mask is ok on very bright stars but quite a challenge on lesser star magnitudes. Very little vignetting through the imaging train so the image circle cover the full frame sensor and it will be simple to either remove the gradients in PS or use flats and sharp stars corner to corner with no obvious colour aberrations.
      I do need to check where the weird smudges are in the imaging train because they weren't on the camera sensor yesterday, hopefully I'll find them pretty quickly because they are nasty!
      Screenshots are also included of APT focusing, Stellarium for the imaging area after plate solving in APT and then PHD2 for the guiding with the ZWO ASI120mm-mini camera on a ZWO 30mm f/4 scope (I've no idea if the guiding is good or bad but the polar alignment was achieved with the iPolar camera in the SkyGuider Pro mount
      I think at some point I'll add an 2" IDAS D2 filter into the imaging train and see if I can counter some local light pollution we have around here.

• By Tyson M
      Good day fellow SGL members,
      I went out today with the AT60ED and the Star Adventurer to image the sun. Visually there was no spots or faculae that I could see. I thought I saw one or two ultra tiny spots of AR12709 with the SV80L but I didnt see them while imaging with the AT60ED. Granulation still apparent.
      Best 15% of 5000 frames. FC, AS!3, ImPPG, Gimp 

• By Tyson M
      Good day fellow SGL members,
      I was out last night imaging the moon. This imaging run turned out fairly good, which in turn, sort of makes up for the fact I ruined a brand new refractor by accidentally dropping it on concrete and shattering the objective of my contrasty Vixen 81S.   Very disappointed as it was my favorite visual scope, but it was late and all I can do is learn from my mistake. 
      Anyways,

3 min vid with FC, AS!3, RS6, Gimp

• By Anthonyexmouth
      hi, getting my first tracking mount delivered tomorrow. Can anyone give me or point me to a good guide for polar alignment for the SW SA. Also any tips/tricks 

thanks
    • By Tyson M
      Good day fellow SGL members!
      Not even minus 30 C could discourage me from going out on a clear night on the weekend where I don't have to be up early.
      Nearly froze solid, as the night progressed to lower temps and a windchill of purportedly minus 43 celsius. I don't think I experienced that low, but I didn't stay for longer than just over an hour, with a couple breaks to the warm house or garage.
      Got a bit of visual in as well. Just a 13mm nagler and scanning around on the DSV-M mount.
      FC, AS!3, ImPPG, Gimp

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.