Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Apologise for what may become an image posting frenzy...

Psychobilly

Tonight is my first attempt at imaging throught he CPC800 whilst guiding through the 66...

I'll post all the roughs in here and then sort the images out into individual threads later tomorrow :smiley:

Not much processing done just very quick levels saturation and re-sizing

Here's the first

M27 Dumbell Nebula 5x240s ISO 800 Modded 350D on CPC800XLT at f10 guided DSI II C on Skywatcher Equinoxwe 66 at f6

8754_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Coming soon M57...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't apologise Billy, we had a long lean spell, so a posting frenzy will be OK thank you. :smiley:

Anyway, it looks as though they are going to be very much worth seeing, if this is an example.

It is a great image, and I marvel at the capability of these Modded DSLR's.

Ron. :bino2:

Hey Billy hope you have a successful night, The first image is superb, excellent detail showing, if the rest of the targets work out you are going to have a great night.

Cloudy here as usual so hope you don't mind but had a play with the image you posted. With the raw data you are going to have a superb image. Keep them coming.

Brendan

M57...

Ok possibly the first issue ... Mirror flop maybe? but thats the point of tonights exercise - i didn't check focus after slewing from M27 to M57... also think M57 needs barlowing up to get a better image scale which would mean barlowing up the guide scope as well...but i said it was going to be ra warts and all night...

8755_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Next M51...

DSS is being a PITA and will only stack 4 subs :bino2: maybe its because there weree powerlines in the way ... but cant see anythign obvious onthe frames although the scores are very low... :p

Anyway

M51 4x240s ... you know the rest...

8756_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

anyway to get away from the trees and wires ...

I'm on M81... hopefully get 10 stackable frames then moving over to M82 - i checked the framing on this one before satrting the sequence :smiley:

Billy...

Great Billy....looks like you're having a lot of fun :smiley::bino2::p

If you're moving very far in a slew, it's always worth checking focus...I just had to refocus my refractor as I'm imaging the crescent nebula at the moment until M33 gets to a good altitude. With the amount of carp I've got hanging on the back of the scope at the moment, there was a bit of slippage when I went to a high altitude!

Mrs H is away until Monday so if the weather gods allow, I'm planning to become nocturnal for the next couple of days :)

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yep certainly looks like I need to check focus after slews...thats the point of tonight really finding out he "pitfalls" of imaging with the 8" guiding with the "66" after spending so long imaging through the "66" and guiding with the 8"...

Anyway here's a "soft" M82

8760_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Back to the Bubble...

Hi Billy,

These are great! I must admit, I always have trouble with the ring because its soooo damn small! I've decided to give up until I can get a better focuser - its just impossible to focus with a barlow on with my current focuser! You seem to have got it cracked based upon your current set though!

I would have been joining you last night - except the promised clear weather decided to vanish :bino2: Having a go tonight though :smiley:

Good job....

Richie

Like most plans they dont survive the heat of battle - so the target list has been modified due to some glaring omissions on my part...

Including...

NGC 7635 - The Bubble Nebula...

8762_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Scope currently on Alcyone in M45 to try and capture some of the nebulosity...

So what have I learnt so far tonight...

This Narrow field stuff is harder than the Wide field stuff becasue...

The Ratio of the Focal lenghts of the Guide/imaging scope makes guiding a lot worse 400:2302 as opposed to 2032:320 - Think I need to look at doing something about that perhaps barlowing up the guidescope and/or focal reducing the imaging Scope.

The Scope although 8" is operating at f10 as oppossed to the 66mm at f4.8 so exposure times need to be a lot longer but this is an issue with the more problematic guiding...

Focus is more critical nad needs to be checked in the "vicinity" of the target - The 66mm holds focus brilliantly the SCT doesn't..

My SCT needs re-collimating - but I knew taht anyway :smiley:

I am sure theres a lot more to learn and would welcome any comments and advice form the more seasoned imagers...

Billy...

p.s. re-focussed on Alnitak and grabbed a quick couple of flame neb shots (only 2 subs) before it went behind the first big tree... then popped up to Alcyone in M45 whilst im waiting for M42 to emerge the other side....

Got data ranging from 5s to 240s for M42 so should be able to do a decent HDR style stack but thats after an hour or two's sleep as its been a busy night :smiley:

These are single frames...

15s

8785_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

30s

8786_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

60s

8787_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

120s

8788_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

240s

8789_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

For my processing method I will stack each set of exposures and then use a layer combining method in CS3 ... but its better done when you can see straight...so ugly sleep first :bino2:

Billy...

Archived