Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modifying a finderscope to guide with

Seems a waste to ditch a perfectly good finder scope in order to replace it with essentially the same thing, that has ability to mount a camera to. Is there a way to modify a 9x50 finder scope into a guide scope?. I'm speaking specifically about the 9x50 that comes on the Edge series SCT's. Thing is, I don't even use it for it's intended purpose, I find my Quickfinder more useful for that and don't even mount the finder scope any more when I go out.

The EP of the finder is smaller than what's needed (less than 1.25"), can it be removed and an EP holder cobbled onto the body? I suppose focusing it would be part of the problem, too.

The ep will unscrew on the finder.. then you need a adapter to attach the guide camera to the finder..usually a c adapter to a 48mm as far as I remember..i had to do away with the adapter and shove it as far in the back to achieve focus..what camera are you going to use? As a e.g using it like this I couldn't achieve focus..the lower image is of a thinner adapter from teleskop services,so has more inward travel

20170828_102147.jpg

received_10212389080343767.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 17:12, michaelmorris said:

Sounds to me that what you're after is a Celestron finderscope to camera adaptor.

https://www.modernastronomy.com/product-category/accessories/finder-guider-adapters/fg-celestron/

Which one you get will depend on which model finderscope you have and what guide camera you're looking to use.

Clear Skies

Yeah, one of them should work. Is there a site in the US for these? Shipping from the UK will be twice or more what I pay for the adapter.

Archived