Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ES ED102FCD-100

Been looking to upgrade my Nexstar 6 se to one of the above or a 8" evolution edge hd can someone help me out as to which would be best and why

I mainly do obseving but will be doing some astro photography as well but want also to do some solar i know thats not possible with the edge hd or 6 i already have  but can someon help which rout i could go as i am really in a dilema

• 2 weeks later...

ok cool i was under the impression it would over heat and damage it ?????

so what do you use to overcome this heating thing and be able to view the sun as i am looking to upgrade my 6se to a poss edge 8 hd

42 minutes ago, barry f said:

ok cool i was under the impression it would over heat and damage it ?????

so what do you use to overcome this heating thing and be able to view the sun as i am looking to upgrade my 6se to a poss edge 8 hd

With a refractor you can use a Hercsh wedge without a front filter, but that is not possible with any other type of scope as you risk frying/shattering the secondary due to heat build up.

With an SCT you need to protect the full frontal aperture. This can be via a full aperture filter, or a sub aperture filter i.e. A cover for the front but with a smaller disk of filter material, offset so as not to overlap with the secondary. These two images show examples

IMG_5959.JPG

IMG_5958.JPG

Archived