Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star sense for Nexstar 5SE ?

I haven`t been on here for a long while but I do have a question. I have seen an advert in the Sky at Night magazine regarding the Celestron StarSense AutoAlign accessory and was wondering if any on here has used this equipment on their telescopes. I have a Celestron Nexstar 5SE and want to know if it will work on this telescope, as I cannot afford to outlay this sort of cash if it ain`t gonna work. So please, helpful and knowledgeable people, can you assist me in my quest??  Thanking you in advance, Doug. The Ancient Astronomer.

Yes, should work OK on your Nexstar 5SE. I’ve not got one, but looking to get one for my Celestron 8SE mount with my C8 SCT at some point in 2018. Make sure you get the Celestron version of Starsense & not the Sky-Watcher version which will only work certain Sky-Watcher goto mounts. If cash is tight if you keep a look out they sometimes come up second hand in the Astro classifieds on here. In fact one was just up a few days ago, but been snapped up already.

Yes, it will work on Celestron SE scopes!

it comes with all the fittings you need in the box.

it comes with a new handset, which replaces the nexstar+ one that you have now.

FLO have a sale starting Boxing Day, keep your eye open for one.

If you buy second hand then don't pay more than 200 pounds. You would also need to make sure they have the latest software version installed too.

The brand new ones will have USB socket on the handset which makes updating the software easy. A second hand one may have the older rj45 socket which means you also need to buy a serial lead to be able to connect handset to computer to allow you to update the software ...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-to-serial-rs-232-cable.html

- this lead connects to the one that came with the scope to allow the handset to connect to a computer for update.

As I say, the new 2017 handsets have USB sockets on them so any old USB lead you have lying around will do!

Alan

I had a Starsense when I was doing visual and I found it great for automating the star alignment process.  As mentioned above it will work with your equipment, and comes with its own handset.

It isn't an essential piece of kit by any means, and is really only designed for visual users wanting to make star alignment very quickly and accurately.  It is very useful if you have limited sky views or are not familiar with the night sky.  I suspect there will be plenty of people along shortly telling you it is a waste of money, and that you can achieve the same by using the built in alignment processes (the latter being correct of course), but Starsense definitely makes this process easier and quicker.

I sold mine as I no longer do visual work, but I thought it was a very good piece of kit and, for me personally, was worth the money for the time saving alone.

Another possible route:-

I bought a Celestron Skyprodigy 70 setup, new, for £200. This has the full Starsense system built-in, and is essentially the same mount and tripod as my Skywatcher Skymax 127 Mak., with Synscan GOTO. Having checked that it worked, I undid 3 bolts, cut back the dovetail clamp's plastic cowl, by about 1/2", and re-assembled. I now have the Starsense/Synscan dual option for my :- 127mm Mak, 130P heritage babydob, ST120 refractor, Cosmos 90mm refractor, & 90mm Virtuoso Mak. At dusk, when only a few stars are visible, I use the Synscan mount with "Brightest Star" alignment; and if it is properly dark, I use the Skyprodigy mount with the Starsense. Sometimes I use both, with different OTAs; it's nice to have them both tracking together with simultaneous wide-field and narrow-field options.

Geoff

Archived