Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

STOLEN EQUIPMENT - HELP

JanH

Hi everyone. I gave myself a Christmas present - 2 weeks on Tenerife.

Unfortunately on 23rd of December 2017 my car was robed and considerable part of my gear is missing. Stolen from carpark in the centre of town Vilaflor, Tenerife.

QHY23 mono CCD (I still have the powerbox and all cables = camera alone is useless)

Telescope Service 80mm f/6 APO triplet with 2.5" RP focuser and stepper motor focusing (DIY)

It was all together so there is also Flat2 flatener, some extensions, TS OAG16, filter drawer with baader 2" red filter, guiding camera QHY5L-II-mono

Berlebach REPORT 172 wooden tripod (the smallest one).

If you notice some suspicious sale PLEASE let me know (or the police).

Grim news indeed, its not the kind of stuff you can sell anywhere so we will keep an eye out for it.

In the meantime, it might be worth looking into whether you can claim the cost of the equipment back on either your car or home insurance (depends on what type of cover you have) - or travel insurance if you took any out.

That's right. Keep an eye out on eBay etc. If all items come up from the same seller tell the local police. Might be worth posting this on other astronomy sites - CN for example. 

Check insurance as U235 suggests. 

JanH that is horrid news. I assume the car was probably stolen without knowledge of your kit in the boot? They may even dump it if they don't know how to sell it.

Anyway, just a thought, @Stephen and @hippy87 list their location as on the islands, they could perhaps keep an eye out locally or offer some advice if you get in touch via pm.

Good luck, as said, hopefully at worst you are insured for your loss.

57 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Always bad news to hear this. Try contacting Steve Phelps at <Tenerife astronomy society@TenerifeAstro> based at Vilaflor, he will probably give the members a "heads-up" on this.

Have posted this page to their Facebook page

Unfortunately theft from cars, particularly hire cars used by tourists is very common in Tenerife. So much so that often hire companies remove the parcel shelves to discourage tourists from thinking they can hide stuff in the boot and be safe. The best advice is don't leave anything of value in your car even if it's just for a few minutes. There was a recent story of a woman whose handbag was stolen from her car at the side of the road while she took a picture of the sunset from just yards away. It's been going on here for as long as there have been tourists - I know, it happened to me in 1985!

Archived