Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Laptop control

JemC

I have been fiddling around today trying to get my mount (EQ6) to work via the Laptop with Stellarium, 

i have eventually managed to get it going, BUT (always has to be a but) it still needs the handset in the equation connected to the mount then another cable going to laptop? from the handset,

Would i be right in thinking that if i used one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq6-or-neq6-syntrek-pro-mounts.html

i could then connect straight from mount to Laptop and do away with the handset, or is it not that simple?

Regards

Why not do away with the cable all together and use one of these  http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-synscan-wifi-adaptor.html - no handset,works with most Planetariums  and works with your laptop - assuming its Windows. But will also work with your Android Phone. Haven't tried it with a EQ6 but should be ok. Slightly more expensive but less wires !!!

1 hour ago, LightBucket said:

Or this, even better and half the price, and not even a little wire.... :)

https://www.dewcontrol.com/EQ6_Bluetooth_Adapter/p3099125_13437766.aspx

I saw that, but not convinced blue-tooth would be as good, (i could be wrong though) 

as anyone used one of these? would like to here your thoughts on it if you have :icon_santa:

29 minutes ago, JemC said:

I saw that, but not convinced blue-tooth would be as good, (i could be wrong though) 

as anyone used one of these? would like to here your thoughts on it if you have :icon_santa:

Yes I have used both this and the cable, and both have worked perfectly...but you have to follow the set up instructions that come with the BT dongle, or it wont work, its not just plug in and that’s it, there is a two minute set up procedure.. :)

EQ6 via EQMOD the lynx cable is the best build quality i have seen so far avaliable from FLO , i sit in the shed use a 5m powered usb cable to a powered usb hub plug in your eqmod cable from hub to mount ,then control mount  through your planetarium software , then you can plug cameras and any other equipment into the hub also .

17 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

i sit in the shed use a 5m powered usb cable to a powered usb hub plug in your eqmod cable from hub to mount ,then control mount  through your planetarium software , then you can plug cameras and any other equipment into the hub also .

will any powered hub/cable do or a specific make? 

4 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

I have just treated myself to the new Pegasus Ultimate power hub, and what a piece of kit that is, and so small....well happy with it. :)

It does look like one serious piece of kit, but the price :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

little update on this,

I ended up buying this cable that @Lightbucket linked to, https://www.dewcontrol.com/EQ6_USB_Cable/p3099125_13454589.aspx
very nice people indeed, asked if they could make it 2.5m long, no problem,pretty quick delivery also, :happy11:

Plugged it in, laptop picked it up straight away, (and it keeps it com port)

So lets see if i can get it hooked up to mount and control by Stellarium

just spent the best part of 2 hours fiddling with the PC and mount trying to get them to talk to each other, :BangHead:

Ascom drivers and everything installed 

installed latest rev of Stellarium and then Stellarium scope, was not getting much joy from that, for some reason it was not finding the right com port? so spent a while trying to sort that before giving up :hmh: and deciding to give CdC a go,

installed CdC, fired everything up put all settings in and within 2 minutes had it working and slewing :happy9:, still not 100% happy though as i really don't get on with CdC layout, much prefer Stellarium as it just seems to be more user friendly and easier to read,

So with the new found joy i go back to Stellarium, but still no joy so time for google,
anyway after a little searching come across a thread from a while ago on SGL, followed some of the info from that, 

turns out what i needed to do was go into Ascom profiler, com port settings, force com port and input the com port to force, after i did that
hey presto IT WORKS :biggrin:
whether it all still works when i eventually get it all installed in my yet unfinished obsey is a different matter

but for now i am a happy 

9 hours ago, JemC said:

little update on this,

I ended up buying this cable that @Lightbucket linked to, https://www.dewcontrol.com/EQ6_USB_Cable/p3099125_13454589.aspx
very nice people indeed, asked if they could make it 2.5m long, no problem,pretty quick delivery also, :happy11:

Plugged it in, laptop picked it up straight away, (and it keeps it com port)

So lets see if i can get it hooked up to mount and control by Stellarium

just spent the best part of 2 hours fiddling with the PC and mount trying to get them to talk to each other, :BangHead:

Ascom drivers and everything installed 

installed latest rev of Stellarium and then Stellarium scope, was not getting much joy from that, for some reason it was not finding the right com port? so spent a while trying to sort that before giving up :hmh: and deciding to give CdC a go,

installed CdC, fired everything up put all settings in and within 2 minutes had it working and slewing :happy9:, still not 100% happy though as i really don't get on with CdC layout, much prefer Stellarium as it just seems to be more user friendly and easier to read,

So with the new found joy i go back to Stellarium, but still no joy so time for google,
anyway after a little searching come across a thread from a while ago on SGL, followed some of the info from that, 

turns out what i needed to do was go into Ascom profiler, com port settings, force com port and input the com port to force, after i did that
hey presto IT WORKS :biggrin:
whether it all still works when i eventually get it all installed in my yet unfinished obsey is a different matter

but for now i am a happy 

It should continue to work as it has the FTDI chipset, so will remember the COM port and use the same one each time, they are much better than the prolific chipset versions such as the Hitecastro ones...glad you got it sorted... :):)

Archived