Nexstar 6SE eyepieces upgrade

icebergahed

Hi all

So after 1 year with this telescope i have decided on some upgraded eyepieces. I currently have some celestron omni lenses 32,12 and 8mm and a 20mm Revelation which will be put on ebay most likely. I have just got a celestron Ultima DUO 21mm. I would like to complete a collection of eyepieces of similar cost/quality. I especially like that my dslr t-ring fits direct to this lens.

Can anyone recommend the mm lenses i should get? Should i keep to this range of lenses? If not why?

I would put a cap of around £100-£120 per lense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

icebergahed,

I would want to cover the main bases of x50, x100, x150, x200 & lastly x250 in my scopes

Nexstar 6SE has focal length of 1500mm.

(scope focal length / desired magnification = eyepiece focal length)

1500/50 = 30mm

1500/100 = 15mm

1500/150 = 10mm

1500/200 = 7mm

1500/250 = 6mm

With x100 and x150 as my most used, then I would start with a good quality (60 degree or more) EP of 15mm & 10mm. The x250 will have limited use so leave this until last.

1mm +/- does not really matter so if you get a 14mm rather than a 15mm thats no problem BUT try to keep a nice spread of magnifications then you get good value at the eyepiece. Differences of less than x50 are not really noticeable at the eyepiece and therefore not value for money.

BST Starguiders at £50 are great value for money and provide a 60 degree field of view. If you really want to push the boat out then go for Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs at £120(ish)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces/bst-starguider-60-12mm-ed-eyepiece.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

(82 degree wide field will give you a WOW over the 68 degree Celestron Ultima or 60 degree BST - try just one first, dont jump in with a whole set until you KNOW you like them!)

OR

As your 21mm gives x71 (1500/21 = 71), you could plan jumps of x50 from there, so

x75, x125, x175, x225 which means 21mm, 12mm, 8.5mm, 6.5mm

HTH,

Alan

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

How about a complete set of Baader Hyperions from FLO in it's own case. These would work very well in your scope being pretty fast at F10.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/baader-hyperion-eyepiece-set-complete.html

baader_hyperion_eyepiece_full_set_insert.jpg

I wouldnt jump in with a set of these unless you know you are NEVER BUYING A DOB. These work well in slow SCTs (like your Nexstar) at f/10 speed but are not good in faster scopes so you would end up selling them in the future.

The Explore Scientific will work down to f/5.

If you want to go even faster still (like my f3.6) then you need TeleVue.

Thanks for the advice. I really like the celestron Ultima duo i have. I may need to find a field of view simulator online to see the difference of an 80deg lense. But may stick to the range with an addition of a 5mm,8mm and 13mm to the 21mm.

I think the addition of the t-ring thread on these lenses has me sold.

I have the focal reducer which will give me 6x possible magnifications.

Thanks

4 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

icebergahed,

I would want to cover the main bases of x50, x100, x150, x200 & lastly x250 in my scopes

Nexstar 6SE has focal length of 1500mm.

(scope focal length / desired magnification = eyepiece focal length)

1500/50 = 30mm

1500/100 = 15mm

1500/150 = 10mm

1500/200 = 7mm

1500/250 = 6mm

With x100 and x150 as my most used, then I would start with a good quality (60 degree or more) EP of 15mm & 10mm. The x250 will have limited use so leave this until last.

1mm +/- does not really matter so if you get a 14mm rather than a 15mm thats no problem BUT try to keep a nice spread of magnifications then you get good value at the eyepiece. Differences of less than x50 are not really noticeable at the eyepiece and therefore not value for money.

BST Starguiders at £50 are great value for money and provide a 60 degree field of view. If you really want to push the boat out then go for Explore Scientific 82 degree EPs at £120(ish)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces/bst-starguider-60-12mm-ed-eyepiece.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

(82 degree wide field will give you a WOW over the 68 degree Celestron Ultima or 60 degree BST - try just one first, dont jump in with a whole set until you KNOW you like them!)

OR

As your 21mm gives x71 (1500/21 = 71), you could plan jumps of x50 from there, so

x75, x125, x175, x225 which means 21mm, 12mm, 8.5mm, 6.5mm

HTH,

Alan

Hi Alan

What would be the magnifications i would get with f6.3 focal reducer as i cant seem to work out the telescope focal length after this is added.

1500mm focal length

5mm = 300x

8mm = 187x

13mm = 115x

21mm = 71x

With F6.3 reducer

5mm = ?

8mm = ?

13mm = ?

21mm = ?

I assume the f6.3 focal reducer reduces the focal length to 0.63 of the original 1500 although I have never used one so this is an assumption.

if so then the focal length becomes 1500 x 0.63 = 945mm

5mm EP would give 945/5 = x189

8mm would give 945/8 = x118

of course, someone will correct me if I am wrong!

AND BEWARE that if you increase the scope speed to f6.3 then these EPs will NOT PERFORM AS WELL :(

Alan

55 minutes ago, icebergahed said:

I may need to find a field of view simulator online to see the difference of an 80deg lense. 

there is a FOV calculator at the bottom of this page

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-68-degree-eyepiece.html

just change the scope using the drop down list.

Archived