Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Epsom, Surrey

TheThing

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay!

Now we just need to work out a dark place to meet up! Any ideas? There is a sight on Epsom Common, but it is boardered to the north by a publice footpath witht street lights - might not be a great idea?

They do indeed - Headley Downs which is just along a bit from the famous box hill!

Sounds like a good spot. It has a NT carpark (but I doubt we'd have to pay at thet time of night) and is in a quiet, well to do area, so local yobbos unlikely (not that we have them in this part of Surrey, sniff! :smiley: )

Could be a plan! Astro-baby, lightbucket - what say you?

Well I live just down the road from Box Hill. I could take a turn round there and see what its like at night. It may be too far away from you guys but Croydon AS go to Kenley. Its supposed to be dark over there. I have been out a few times over there but every time I went it was cloudy so very hard to assess what the sky may be like.

I'll take a look at Box Hill and let you know - will be a few days before I am free though.

I've been to Croydon's Kenley Observatory. It's a nice set up, but it suffers from LP from Croydon and London and it's on private land. However, it is over the road from the old Kenley Airfield which could be of use and has parking close bye.

Headly Downs (or Heath or Common) is a bit further 'back' from Box Hill. As Dorking is at the bottom of Box Hill, most of it's LP should be deflected/absorbed by the hill - if you see what I mean. Headly is probably closer to Astro-Baby and me than Kenley.

Hi Thing,

I did some research as I work for a council and could look at detailed maps, contours, land terriers etc and Headley may have some possibilities BUT there seems to be very litle common land around. A lot of it seems to be cultivated or owned. There are a few patches which arent but the maps and sattelite pictures show trees so it was hard to ascertain what the view may be like. I am going to have a drive round at the weekend during the day prospecting for sites. Once I find some possibilities I'll take a tour at night and see what it looks like.

Its going to take a bit of time - while I am out and about I'll also see if I can find a friendly farmer who might give us some space.

Mel,

Do you know the car park on Rabies Heath Road? It sits pretty much on top of Tilburstow Hill and gives glorious views to the south. It's possible there could be a spot there that is sheltered from the road.

I'll take a look next time I'm passing. Bit nervous of looking at night - I get the impression there are a few wobbly cars up there.

Mike

Hi all,

OK I have done some scouting about as promised. Last two nights I have driven about for hours with a scope in the back of the car looking for dark sky sights in the Dorking area. I havent seen a thing through the scope because we have had fog ( and right now I am debating selling it and going back to shotgunning as a hobby so if anyone has a decent under and over shotgun for a swap with a SW 200 / HEQ5 I am all ears ).

Good Dark Sky sites - none - yup - thats none. Last night I spent the best part of 5 hours driving around and theres only two that would be even remotely suitable and both of those have problems as well which may be surmountable / liveable with.

Heres a description of the two sites that may be of some use.

Site 1 - its located along the top of Box Hill and is NT land but accessible and open with a car park. Its ringed by trees so views to the horizon are out while object above approximately 45' above the horizon would be ok ( Polaris was vsible easily ). The trees mask out the direct glare from Dorking itself BUT it has a small road nearby and lights from passing cars are NOT masked fully by the foliage. I cant say how often cars go past but at 21:30 on a Saturday there were 3 cars in 5 minutes - i timed the traffic. Its possible this site would work but night vision could be wrecked easily at this site. No cars parked on the two occasions I have visited the site. Theres a pub down the road approximately 2 miles away but no gangs of people.

Site 2 - Denbighs Vineyard. Has a large flat car park thats semi concrete. Its just off the A24. Its far enough from the road that the road is masked well enough. Serious looking light pollution from the office estate to the South East and also Dorking. It was fogging up at 22:00 which may have made the LP look worse than it would be on a good night. Lights in the car park and around the main building are a hassle - I am told by Denbighs management these are normally switched off at night. It has good access and large amounts of flat space.

I have spoken to Denbighs management and they say they wouldn't object to a few people using the car park for astronomy. The site needs a recheck on a weekday evening late on to see if the lights are off and also what the LP on a clear night will be like. This site has potential and I'll recheck it all out.

I still have to investigate out towards Bookham but I may have some good news in a week or so. I need to consulat with someone at the local Council who I am told may be able to give me a good steer to a dark sky sight which would meet all the criteria for astro AND its vaguely possible ( dont get any hopes up ) that we may be able to acquire some kind of deal.

Headley - at least the bits I drove around, didn't look promising. Either its too close to roads or its private land or its got a lot of trees around it masking almsot every view except the zenith.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks Astro_baby. Denbiegh's sounds interesting and it's near to a24/m25 and railway for people to get to. Also, if the management are happy for people to use it, it's a bonus!

Maybe we should consider an inaugural meet somewhere first as well to put names to faces?

I have scouted Denbighs again and I dont think its going to be suitable. Their car park lights seem to be on all the time and the office estate over the road from them creates some very bad LP. Theres a small access road off the car park thats blocked - I assume it was the old connection to the A24 - it may just be bearable.

The other location seems better at the top of Box Hill. As soon as I can get them I will get some map references for you. It has a large car park with easy access to a flat area at the top of the hill. The trees provide natural shade from Dorking. In the right spot you cant see car headlights from the road so that may be a better option.

I have also scouted out round Headley but the trees make it very unsuitable. I did find a pub called the [removed word] Inn which had a good car park space but its too near a road really and I'd suspect on a normal night the pub is open which may cause problems.

I have asked someone at the Council if they can advise of good sites but they cant really help because most council property is of course in Leatherhead and Dorking - the two big urban areas - so most of our estates people dont have much knowledge of the outlaying areas as we dont have much out there. I'll carry on asking around for you all but so far the site at the top of box hill seems the best.

Okies - here are the map co-ordinates. If you bash these into Google Earth you will find yourself centred on a flat space. To the left and right oif this are car parks. The car park to the left is the best one of the two as it has flat access to the field.

Whoops - these are the co-ordinates for the box hill site ( above ). Best car park is the one to the left. Co ordinates are 51.2486°N 0.3105°W

I also scouted Headley Common - it has two possible options.

The first is located at 51.2709°N 0.2738°W - Moderate amount of trees but a short walk will bring you out onto a flat area. Car park was quite small and quite heavily trafficked at 21:00.

Second location is the common but further south - coordinates 51.2655°N 0.2729°W - less traffic for no apparent reason but more trees. A slightly longer walk produced a largish flat area.

Either of the Headley Common sites would require a walk to make sure your screened from cars pulling into the car parks and their headlights. My own bet is that few amourous couples will park up if they see the car park is full of people with telescopes :)

Check them out on Google Earth and see what you think.

Hmm! I think they are all fine. Thanks for putting all that work in Astro-baby.

Does anyone else have a preference?

Now we just need to nail down a time and date to meet. W/ends are generally no good for me and the 2nd Friday of every month I'm at my local RSPB.

Any thoughts?

Archived