SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M33 after tutorial

Stu Wilson

Hi Stu,

You have captured M33 well and nicely framed. Processing is a hard discipline to master. It has a steep learning curve with so my features to explore and settings to tweak. It's always a good idea to explain how you imaged M33. The amount of subs, the imaging times, equipment used and processing details. We will then have a good understanding on the final image. You're background has a distinct red hue and although I'm not a photoshop guru could be reduced by aligning your RGB levels. In photoshop open your image. On your "pull down" menu go into image - adjustments - levels. You should see your RGB "peaks" these should be aligned "one on top of the other". If they are no go into each channel & move the l/h "black" cursor to the base of slope. Do the same with the "middle" cursor. (shown in picture below). You will have to do this for each channel Red, Green & Blue. As I have mentioned, I rarely use photoshop now and hopefully a member here with far more knowledge than I will serve you better.

Picture.JPG.d89eb98b8db910f39add1e2628709d7b.JPG

Steve

I hope you don't mind, I had a quick play with your TIFF file. Mainly with Astroflats pro, Gradient Xterminator, some noise reduction and sharpening of the galaxy.

Your data is not bad but you've got some dust bunnies in there that flats will take care of. You've also got some coma that a coma corrector will fix. Other than that there's some nice detail in your image.

m33tiff1.jpg

Hi. Nice shot.

I had a quick GIMP at it. I agree with g-85. I think flat frames would improve it and make it easier to process. Not sure about coma correctors any longer. With modern programs and techniques, probably best to correct aberrations in software rather than send the light through extra glass. See what you think.

Cheers and clear skies.

33-1.jpg

Archived