SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium 0.17.0

alexwolf

1 hour ago, dyfiastro said:

Hi

I have just installed 0.17.0 and have a strange issue in regards to the rendering the moon.
When zoomed out it can be seen fine however when you use the Oculars plugin or zoom in the moon is not visible.

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing, removing config and data files from the profiles folder but nothing seems to work.
This seems to be a possible issue with OpenGL as if I load using mesa the moon is visible (although a lot slower).
The 32bit and 64bit both have the same issue, I have also updated on my obsy pc which is working fine but uses an intergrated Intel GPU
I am using a Geforce 770GTX and have tried older drivers and the latest updated ones.
Any information regarding this would be great

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

Seems ok on mine. What configuration do you have - telescope, lens etc? Have you tried using the image sensor frame?

Louise

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried with the default standard config and with a custom configuration.
Even with a fresh installation without any settings being changed it does the same thing so not a settings issue.
The fact that it does not do it when in Mesa mode points to a possible issue with 3D rendering as far as I can see.

• 1 month later...
On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:24, Davey-T said:

Hi Alan, sorry missed your post yesterday.

I used the 64bit version, I had all settings on sleep as it came, only way to keep Stellarium running was to set it to do nothing.

It was new laptop a few weeks ago and originally installed V0.16.0 then uninstalled it and tried V0.17.0 with the same problem, I believe you can save your old settings when updating if you want to.

Now even though I've tried to make the default graphics NVidia it just ignores my settings and use the Intel graphics so I'm resigned to having to select NVidia graphics every time I start it.

Will have another play with it when I have time.

Having USB/ COM Port /ASCOM fun ATM with my imaging laptop.

Dave

Hi Dave

Did you sort this problem out? It might depend on whether you are plugged in or running from battery and the details of your power settings. Obviously graphics cards use a lot more power.

Louise

3 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Dave

Did you sort this problem out? It might depend on whether you are plugged in or running from battery and the details of your power settings. Obviously graphics cards use a lot more power.

Louise

No still have to select Nvidia on start up or remember not to close the lid

doesnt affect it on battery or mains

Dave

23 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

No still have to select Nvidia on start up or remember not to close the lid

doesnt affect it on battery or mains

Dave

Power/performance settings related? What is lid set to do in power settings? This problem you have bugs me! I had a Win 10 update on my Lenovo today and had to go through and check various settings - reminded me!

Louise

Got all the power saving disabled so do nothing when lid is closed 

Works fine on a different Win10 machine

Enquired at Stellarium and they couldn’t duplicate the problem with similar hardware so I’ll just have to live with it

Dave

16 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Got all the power saving disabled so do nothing when lid is closed 

Works fine on a different Win10 machine

Enquired at Stellarium and they couldn’t duplicate the problem with similar hardware so I’ll just have to live with it

Dave

Oh well. I actually have my Nvidia graphics disabled to save power. I think it's only really used for 3d graphics anyway? You might be able to do the opposite and disable onboard graphics with Nvidia as the default but I don't know how that would work. There's obviously something odd going on with your system!

Louise

• 1 month later...

did anyone sort out the freezing issue because im running 0.0.18 on windows 10 and when my screen goes off (power saving) it freezes the pc i have to also hit ctrl-alt-delete for task manager and then it unfreezes and works fine??

51 minutes ago, Wirral man said:

did anyone sort out the freezing issue because im running 0.0.18 on windows 10 and when my screen goes off (power saving) it freezes the pc i have to also hit ctrl-alt-delete for task manager and then it unfreezes and works fine??

Can you report it to Stellarium please as I never got to the bottom of it and they couldn't reproduce the problem.

I either have to start it every time using the Geoforce graphics or turn off the power saving and remember not to close the laptop lid.

Dave

Have you disabled all the Power saving \ Screen locks etc ?? From Control Panel, Power Options, select a High Performance plan, but edit the plan settings and change advanced power setting to not disable\sleep anything....

28 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Have you disabled all the Power saving \ Screen locks etc ?? From Control Panel, Power Options, select a High Performance plan, but edit the plan settings and change advanced power setting to not disable\sleep anything....

But you shouldn't have to do that just to run Stellarium.

Dave

Why not ??  Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have decreed what your PC should be doing, and to be 'kind' to the planet, they throttle back all running processes, even to the extent of putting things to sleep. Stellarium is just a tenant running on top of what Microsoft provides.

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Why not ??  Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have decreed what your PC should be doing, and to be 'kind' to the planet, they throttle back all running processes, even to the extent of putting things to sleep. Stellarium is just a tenant running on top of what Microsoft provides.

It works on other similar machines without messing with settings ?

I have it running on Win7, Win10, Mac Book Pro, Windows Bootcamp partition on MBP, Win8.1 etc etc

Dave

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

It works on other similar machines without messing with settings ?

I have it running on Win7, Win10, Mac Book Pro, Windows Bootcamp partition on MBP, Win8.1 etc etc

Dave

Then ,like in most cases, its down to the driver which is NOT normally written by Microsoft (Stallarium uses QT  I believe in normal mode )- not that they dont "cockup" a few of the drivers they produce. Hence it works on "other" machines which are most different hardware set ups (graphics cards/chips).  Have you tried the other "modes" of 0.17 such as Mesa etc (if they still produce them) to see if that works ok on the miss behaving machine.  

6 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Have you tried the other "modes" of 0.17 such as Mesa etc (if they still produce them) to see if that works ok on the miss behaving machine.  

No can't be bothered, I've spent / wasted, far too many hours faffing around with MS products since the days of 5 1/4" floppies, it works as long as I don't shut the laptop lid and the Stellarium guys can't reproduce it using the same spec machine so I'll live with it.

Thanks for your input

I see there's a new version out so will give that a go.

Dave

Archived