Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which mount ?

SAW

Hi,

I have just got a Lunt Solar Wedge that I am going to use on my WO61APO but not sure what sort of mount to get ? I have HEQ5 but want something lighter and maybe just Alt/Az. I do have a K&F travel tripod but this is too flimsy for my scope. Any suggestions ?

I have used several alt/az mounts in the past and until recently I used this mount for my PST Ha scope - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/astromaster-tripod.html

This new mount from Skywatcher seems a light useful mount - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-az-pronto-alt-azimuth-mount-tripod.html

If you fancy just a table top alt/az mount I have used this one (available from Astroboot) - same set up as yours 72mm ED refractor with Lunt Solar Wedge. It works well if you have an available table/wall etc to put it on.

skywatcher.JPG

I use a couple of grab and go setups.

The first is as described in the following post by @Fozzie which I use with a WO ZS66SD and Lunt Herschel Wedge.

The second is a Manfrotto 410 geared heads attached to a Manfrotto 028b tripod (thanks @Earl) which I use a ST102 and Lacerta 2” Herschel Wedge or a PST on.

These are both easily transportable and manage the setups I have.

Hope this helps,

Ade

I use the SW Star Discovery altaz goto mount with my Lunt 60. I find the solar tracking to be very nice when it works, and it works reasonably reliably. It's also sufficient for short solar imaging runs.

Edit: I als occasionally use the mount with SW 100ED and lunt solar wedge. Gets a bit wobbly when focusing but otherwise also good :)

Archived