Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fav part of the sky with binoculars

Taff

Auriga is my fav with the 15x70's. Open cluster heaven :smiley:

A close second would be Perseus, Cassiopeia and Andromeda region. Open clusters and a rather splendid galaxy or two.

Cygnus/Milkyway is great with the 10x50's.

Russ

Gaz, what do you find you use the most, the 8x40 or the 15x70 binos?

Just ask because there was an article a few months back in one of the publications that seemed to suggest that the larger binoculars were of limited use. But i find the opposite. The 15x70's are quite light really and very easy to use. I haven't picked up the 10x50's for astro use for almost 18 months now. I grab for the 15x70's at every opportunity. One of my best astro buys.

Russ

I always use the 15x70s for 'proper' observing and the small ones round my neck for a finder with the Dob or catching a quick look when I'm out imaging the Moon/ planets.

I often read that the 15x70 can't be hand held but I'm fine using them like that, the FOV is still quite wide and most objects show decent improvement over the 8x40s and 10x50s.

Spent a few nights with a set of 10x50's this last week. I had clear and genuinely dark skies (holiday in a little place in Wales called Marros) with good hoirizons and i kept drifting back again and again to the andromeda, cassiopeia, perseus regions.

Anthony

The southern milky way from a truly dark site: Cygnus through Scutum to Sagittarius & Scorpius. The views through binos surpass that of a telescope as you can have multiple DSO set against countless diamond stars and dark nebula.

I spent June in northern Spain and would scan the sky with 15x50 image stabilised binos and would be lost for hours. I think the most stunning view was M8 & M20 in the same field of view.

In terms of grandeur, the old moon isn't too bad with binoculars and comets can look pretty good - Hale Bop and Holmes were truly remarkable.

I purchased a pair of Bushnell 15x70's last week and spent the weekend amazed with what i could view with them. Star clusters are superb but i will be sure to check the Southern skies tonight (if clear).

Just curious though, should i be able to see Amdromeda? im pretty sure i was looking in the right area but either the light pollution spoiled it or i was way off!

I purchased a pair of Bushnell 15x70's last week and spent the weekend amazed with what i could view with them. Star clusters are superb but i will be sure to check the Southern skies tonight (if clear).

Just curious though, should i be able to see Amdromeda? im pretty sure i was looking in the right area but either the light pollution spoiled it or i was way off!

You should be able to see it for sure. It is a naked eye object from a dark site. My 7x50s show it well enough from my heavily light polluted back garden but it is a lot less impressive than from dark skies. It might be to do with the level of magnification you are getting as it virtually fills the FOV in my 7x50s.

Anthony

Andromeda Galaxy M31 (and M32 & M110) should be readily visible through 15x70 bins however haze/cirrus or light pollution will reduce the view accordingly. As Anthony says, it is visible with the naked eye from a dark site.

You realise how big M31 is when viewing through binos as a widefield stereoscopic view allows the very low surface brightness to be followed for several degrees.

Mark

Well the skies cleared at around 10:30 ,last night so i took my chance and had another try for Andromeda. Lined up with my stars and pressed my eyes to the bino's and there it was, 1st time(dont know how i missed it the first time). I had a good look around with the pleiades gleaming brightly but still quite low.

On a good night you should be able to pick up the M31 satallite galaxies...M32 and M110. M32 looks star like in binos and M110 fainter, so harder to spot. Check a star chart for their position and have another look at M31.

Also, dropping straight down southwards brings you to M33. Really hard to spot on a poor or average night. But easy enough on a good night.

Russ

Archived