Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Adam J

M33 short ish exposure experiment from red / yellow zone.

I dont normally image galaxies as I live in a Red / Yellow Zone and I find that its very difficult to achieve a pleasing result.

However, I have been seeing lots of images from the ASI071mc and QHY168c cameras from highly light polluted locations achieving good quality with large numbers of short exposures so I decided to give it a go with my cooled 550D which according to 'sensor gen' has a lower read noise than either of the two pro cooled cameras when used at high ISO. As such this is very much an experiment for me as I would normally move away from 5 - 10 min exposures at ISO800.

This is 230 x 120s exposures at ISO 3200, taken over three nights from my home observatory, 130PDS, Astronomic CLS clip, HEQ5 guided.

1) 60 on 8/12/17

2) 40 on 11/12/17

3) 130 on 15/12/17

Calibrated with FLATS only.

As I dont normally image galaxies and so I am not very practiced at processing, this is my 5th go starting from scratch. I had to change quite allot of how I process from my normal emission nebula work flow. This is also my first use of Astro Pixel Processor as part of my 30 day trial. DSS was just not cutting it for this and I wanted something with a good tool to remove gradients.

5a39a2c037717_Intergrated_and_LP_corrected_M3319122017-34-jpg.thumb.jpg.4ab1977ddc01df9b7ee0bfcc7c87691d.jpg

Thanks allot for looking, any pointers / comments good or bad welcome.

Adam.

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 15

Great image. It proves that it is possible to get quality images from a light polluted area; as long as there's enough data.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

This is a tricky target from anywhere in my experience - You've done really well :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DarkAntimatter said:

Great image for red/yellow.  This gives me hope for my orange location.  

I must be using a different LP map as I dont recall seeing any orange on it. But now I look there are some with different scales so no idea which is the normal one! Either way its sufficient to say that I live in Lincoln and have to image over RAF Waddington's flood lighting to the south east.

Thanks all for the likes and comments.

Cheers,

Adam.

That is an excellent M33 and nicely processed.  It is a messy galaxy which is always grey and fuzzy around the edges which makes you want to do the processing again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Adam J said:

I must be using a different LP map as I dont recall seeing any orange on it. But now I look there are some with different scales so no idea which is the normal one! Either way its sufficient to say that I live in Lincoln and have to image over RAF Waddington's flood lighting to the south east.

Well, on my app, the colours blend where they meet.  I think I should have said red/yellow, really.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.