SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC447 LRGB

Barry-Wilson

The beautiful reflection nebula IC447 in Monoceros. I've shunned a moody rendition to celebrate the glorious colour and variety across the composition.

The data were captured between 21st November and the 16th December.

Data acquisition: Steve Milne & Barry Wilson
Processing: Barry Wilson

Details:

• Takahashi FSQ106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon E Series LRGB
  • 34 x 600s Lum; 18 x 600s each of RG&B; tptal integration 14.7 hours
  • e-Eye Extramadura

Thanks for looking & CS!

IC447_LRGB_Blend_Final.thumb.jpg.048736aca5cef04541d30f6a430d4cc2.jpg

Very nice image Barry!

This may just be how this object is, but to me the image looks a bit flat particularly in the central part due to the homogeneous dark-violet areas, but as I say that may just be how it is.

34 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Great! I really enjoyed imaging this one with Tom and it's always a treat to see your take on the processsing of a target, which is as good as ever. Super composition, bringing in the reds as a foil against the blue. Love it.

Olly

Thanks Olly. Your presentation of this nebula some months ago/last year (from your TEC140?) has stayed with me and I have been excited to image this from the more southerly latitude of Spain with its better perspective of Orion.  So thanks to you for the inspiration.

46 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Nice and smooth Barry plus lots going on there.

There sure is and also at a wider fov too . . . your rig and canon objective would make the blues sparkle!

29 minutes ago, gorann said:

Very nice image Barry!

This may just be how this object is, but to me the image looks a bit flat particularly in the central part due to the homogeneous dark-violet areas, but as I say that may just be how it is.

Cheers Goran.

I think we would have a little more relief of the dark dusty nebula with some more luminance however it does not present like the dust in Taurus or Cepheus. My research showed images of the dusty area to be similar in some ways to that in M78, a wash with varying density but not prominent structures (without excessive and perhaps artificial enhancement).

26 minutes ago, peter shah said:

Barry that's stunning, beautifully processed....im guessing in PI?

Yes Peter, PixInsight. I normally state that in my details along with SGP for capture. I’m afraid I’m a devotee of the darkside, :happy10:. The RGB data is very rich and I added the luminance using CieLab mode and the colour was preserved to a large degree.  I could imagine this target would shine with the rich star colouring of your style.

13 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

That's lovely, Barry, not seen this one before but I love all the contrasting features!

Cheers Steve. Red, blue and faint bluey dust, colourful stars including a big hot blue shiner - it is a delight to process.

Thanks Dr Tooth.

It was surprisingly easy to process as it delivers rich data in all Broad Band channels. Star control is needed but in this image you have to let the stars contribute and deliver on size and colour - they are a part of its glory - so you can't be too heavy handed.

This is a new one on me.  Glorious dust.  Great to see some perfectly beautiful images rolling off the production line from your setup at E-eye.  At last the availability of clear skies will no longer be a limitation to what you can achieve Barry.  Can't wait to see what you produce next!

Peter

Archived