sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

comet wirtanen

As Paul says, comets are fickle things, often promising much and delivering little. Occasionally there is really good one though, so well worth keeping track of the latest info.

You may find this comet  site helpful http://www.cometwatch.co.uk/bright-comets-of-2018/  . I do not expect it to be a Hale Bopp or Hyakutaki but am hoping for a naked eye comet. It should be at it's brightest in the tail end of the year so under darker skies (but clouds abound :hmh:) . There is good information available here http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/ . Keep looking up :happy11:

I remember looking for Comet Holmes [2007] under a sodium streetlight polluted sky. I was thinking to myself... "Where are you!" as I was looking at where it should be, as the sky appeared misty - it was only when I was increasing the altitude of my 7x50 binoculars for a clearer part of the sky, then after a few minutes I realised that I had been looking at it all the time... doh! :iamwithstupid: - I was staring into the tail.

Comets Hale-Bopp [1995] & Hyakutake [1996] were also viewed with my 7x50's too - at least they were easier targets.

Don't know why, but I think comets are best viewed with binoculars anyway. :bino2: