Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1805 to VDB15, 9 panel mosaic

vdb

IC1805-VDB15; FSQ 106, QHY367C, 9 panels, 12x5min per panel G:2850 Offset:76
Could use more data but I just don't have the patience, and once processed, gathering extra data is no fun anymore. Stacking, LP removal and mosaic creation in APP, stretching and saturation in PI, finishing up in PS.

27359542519_161d47a0bb_c.jpgIC1805-VDB15 by Yves, on Flickr

Thanks everybody!

So on closer inspection v1 was way over processed, again must have been a sleep (reality is I always seem to get over excited during initial processing resulting in usage of all kind of bells and whistles that, especially PI gives)

So this time I did all the preprocessing in APP, that means also stretching and initial color saturation, the finishing as always I do in PS. I would say the difference is huge when you look at 100% saturation and star reduction took their toll on the image in V1

38299445735_acb774910a_c.jpgIC1805-VDB15v2 by Yves, on Flickr

V2 is much better Yves. The colour is warmer, with the blues and reds complimenting each other much better I think.

How do you find APP for mosaics? I thought it did a super job on one of my Lum mega mosaics. Almost flawless stitching of the frames.

Tom

Hi Tom,

APP is my tool of choice to do registration and stacking of the panels and in a second pass to register and stack my individual panels to a mosaic ...

I could obtain similar results in PI but it would take a lot of manual interaction, combined with trial and error to find the wright settings.

In APP it all runs is full auto, one thing though is that it lacks batch functionality for mono imagers, so you need to repeat for all channels the same workflow in multiple passes,

the developer is working on automating this, so over time this will be fixed.

I never pixel peep to see if all is nicely stitched, but in the past with PI it was obvious when your last panel was not able to align on all stars, resulting in double stars in one seem.

The normalisation and blending of APP is really magical, I sometimes take all my lights of all my panels and stack them with LNC and MBB, In many cases I can't even detect the seams, which is crazy as the border of my camera is never uniform! So for example I'm working on a 15 panel wright now, and to see where I stand I drop like 60 subs in total of the 15 panels (4 of each panel) in one flow, and much too mu surprise it delivers an nice result?!

/Yves

• 1 month later...

Archived