Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2017-12-17 - NGC 6811 - Cyngus: Hole in a cluster

N3ptune

Hello again! This is my second sketch log during the same weekend, different day. Temperature was very cold, -13 Celcius at the thermometer but probably colder then that. I had to enjoy the sky again... whatever the temperature.

Setup was fast at home, the 8" Newtonian on the trusty EQ5 and the clock drive. I used only 2 eyepieces today the 34mm 68d and 18mm 60d

The goal was to do a short observation and to look at these to NGCs

NGC 6811 Hole in a cluster

NGC 6819 The Foxhead Cluster (I didn't locate it.)

I like to focus on these fainter NGC objects, they are really nice most of the time in averted vision and containing many faint stars.

The sketch was done with my good Xcel LX 18mm eyepiece, the cluster itself is in the center but close to it there is a collection of brighter stars, like another cluster but it's not apparently. Obviously many stars are missing from the view at the eyepiece, especially in the center, in the NGC cluster itself.

Strangely I remember more of the general view at 55x, 1 degree TFOV with what looks like a faint dual cluster like the double cluster.

Considering the level of difficulties with the cold air, I am happy with the sketch even if it's very common and uncomplicated. I hope you like it too.

oYV66q7.png

Thanks! babaye and Clear sky.

Wiki Facts:

Two planets (Kepler 66b and Kepler 67b), orbiting Sun-like stars in the NGC 6811 cluster, have been discovered by the Kepler mission using the transit method.[2] Both planets are smaller than Neptune and are both the first sub-Jupiter planets and the first transiting planets discovered orbiting stars within an open cluster.[2] Given that the age and distance of the cluster have been accurately measured, the two planets are among the few of which age and distance are accurately known.[12] This finding suggests that the frequency of planets in clusters is similar to that in stars not belonging to clusters or associations[2][12] and that planets can form and survive in environments more crowded and violent than the one of our own Sun.[5]

You possess a rare talent here, N3p. Your sketches meet and surpass a camera in clarity and depth that I've seen so far. Likely helped by your choice of targets.

I hope you're keeping them all in a safe, dry place with regulated heat (or A-C in Summer).

Keep on going! :thumbsup:

Dave & Co.

This was one of the first objects I looked at with my dob. I was baffled by the amount of tiny pinpoint stars which are speckled around the 'donut' that gives this cluster his name. 

Have you tried a bigger magnification? 

I cant believe the amount of work you've put in this, to sketch this amount of stars takes an eternity :) 

I wish I had your patience ;) 

@Dave In VermontI am glad you like it, thanks, I look at it and many stars are missing in the center part, I had to cut the amount because it was freezing. The good part is, because of the sketch, I have the DSO engraved in my memory, that exercise itself is awesome.  All stars were placed individually from the view at the eyepiece, I capture the size too (higher magnitude = larger stars) I have to correct some shapes in Gimp, no secret there. 85% human, 15% Gimp including the color inversion.

--> I should improve the preservation process of the paper Dave in Vermont, I keep the sheets inside a simple binder right now, but the humidity is stable inside the house, it's well controlled, perhaps a bit too much humidity in the summer.  But honestly, ill tell you what I believe: Ill probably die alone and these sketch will most likely end up in the garbage. :sad:

@Wiu-Wiu

Oh yes? that target must be nice with you 12" Sumerian the stars are really faint, they need large aperture. I did not tried more then 55x power on the object, only less, 29x. But next time, Ill put 80x on it or maybe 100x, more faint stars will be revealed in the middle and stabilized too. Good idea actually. Thanks!

Archived