Choosing a telescope?

If I understand your question, you are asking if a 6 inch dobsonian is a suitable scope. The answer to that question is-yes. The moon and planets will be great as will the Orion nebula, and you will be able to see all the 110 Messier deep space objects (conditions allowing).

The advice by more knowledgeable people than me above is excellent for helping you get the right scope, but if your question is -is a 6 inch dob decent or a disappointing waste of time?- then it absolutely is decent. You can see so many things with it- just check out some observing reports from people with 5 inch scopes.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The base, for the 10" truss-tube with Synscan, has a diameter of 53cm. It is not the easiest carry up or down a flight of steps, but is do-able (shin pads optional); however, relatively easy on the level ("wide-knee waddle" over steps and doorway thresholds).

Geoff

7 hours ago, Charic said:

Unless you had a bad 5" scope like my old.........C127EQ-PS based on personal experience!!

On the other hand, I've been very impressed with my Celestron 127 Mak.  Other than the long focal length, it's a very nice scope, especially for $200 when purchased used.

Archived