Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

Welcome to the new

Celestial Events Heads Up forum

and the

Celestial Events Calendar

Post up about any short notice events such as lift off proms or Super Novae, or discuss events posted in the calendar

Follow the new forum and calendar to receive notifications and make sure you don't miss anything!

Sign in to follow this  
sloz1664

SGPro, FocusLock and Lodestar with OAG

sloz1664    630

As SGPro are actively promoting the FocusLock focussing system from Optec Optical & Electrical Products. I was wondering if anyone is actively using this system. Preferably with a Lodestar or LodestarX2 and OAG, using the Lacerta kit.

Steve

swag72    5,889

I saw this Steve and thought that in theory it sounds like a great idea..... I'm starting to get stuff together to give it a go next year ūüėä

Lars    68

I looked at Optec's web page but didn't find much information about the hardware used in the Lacerta for Lodestar hardware kit other than it works in a similar way  as with an ONAG. I can see in the picture they show of the Lodestar X2 camera that they seem to have replaced the front window but not more info than that. I may have missed it but is there any more info on the hardware used?

Regards

Lars

RayD    2,127
3 minutes ago, Lars said:

I looked at Optec's web page but didn't find much information about the hardware used in the Lacerta for Lodestar hardware kit other than it works in a similar way  as with an ONAG. I can see in the picture they show of the Lodestar X2 camera that they seem to have replaced the front window but not more info than that. I may have missed it but is there any more info on the hardware used?

Regards

Lars

PDF showing the kit contents here

iansmith    138

Hello,

I know how this works with respect to the ONAG guider and it works very well. It keeps my Edge 11 in focus throughout an imaging session. With the ONAG I use a Starllight Xpress Ultrastar (which you really need as you only get the IR light with the ONAG). As an OAG captures all the light from a guide star you should be able to use a X2 Lodestar. I don't know how they've made this work with the OAG. The ONAG relies on the astigmatism introduced by the cold mirror of the ONAG and the way it varies as you move in and out of focus (see https://www.innovationsforesight.com/education/real-time-autofocus/ for more on that). 

I'm guessing that the tilt window used in the Lacerta system introduces a similar astigmatism. This doesn't affect guiding performance with the ONAG and I assume it wouldn't with an OAG. Because the focusing is continuous, once focus has been achieved, the focuser (a Moonlite  focuser in my case) is moved in small steps as necessary. The steps are small enough that imaging is not disturbed, although I guess this would rely on how tightly you have connected everything.

The main thing you will need to do is to make sure that your OAG and imaging camera are parfocal, so that when the FocusLock s/w thinks the OAG image is focused then so is your imaging camera. I did this with the help of a Batinov mask.

The Optec software is easy enough to use, but as far as I know it requires PHD2 to work. It grabs a copy of the guide star image from PHD2 to anaylse to see if the focus needs to be changed. It will average several images before making a measurement so variations in seeing are ignored. You can set the number of frames to average. There is a simple calibration process to go through and there is an option for backlash compensation should you need it. If you have filters that aren't parfocal then you can provide offfsets to the software to handle this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy ( NGC 1365 ) in the constellation Fornax
      edit: new version with new long exposure data ( 52 x 240sec ) and better dark subtraction / dithering to remove streaks in the noise and amp glow.  This also allowed for a greater stretch revealing more faint data in the galaxy and small faint fuzzies in the image ..

The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy ( NGC 1365 ) in Fornax ( please click / tap to see larger )
      and below I have added a 100% crop of new version:

original image:

NGC 1365  ( please click / tap on image to see larger )
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy (  NGC 1365 ) in the Constellation Fornax
      Below the equator, not seen from much of the Northern hemisphere, NGC 1365 passes very nearly directly overhead an observer situated near Cape Town, as Sir John Herschel was in November of 1837, or near Sydney, as I was, almost exactly 180 years later, when I photographed this ‚Äúremarkable nebula‚ÄĚ that is numbered 2552 in his book of observations from the Cape.
      Not called a ‚Äúnebula‚ÄĚ now, of course, this striking object is one of the nearest and most studied examples of a barred spiral ( SB ) galaxy that also has an active galactic nuclei resulting in its designation as a Seyfert galaxy.
      At around 60 M light years from Earth, NGC 1365 is still seen to occupy a relatively large area ( 12 by 6 arc minutes ) due to its great size; at some 200,000 light years or so across, NGC 1365 is nearly twice as wide as the Milky Way and considerably wider than both the Sculptor and Andromeda galaxies.
      This High Dynamic Range ( HDR ) image is built up from multiple exposures ranging from 4 to 120 seconds with the aim of capturing the faint detail in the spiral arms of the galaxy whilst also retaining colour in the brightest star ( the orange-red 7th magnitude giant, HD 22425 ).  Also, scattered throughout the image, and somewhat more difficult to see, are numerous and far more distant galaxies with apparent magnitudes of 16 to 18 or greater.
      Mike O'Day

Identification:
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy
      New General Catalogue -  NGC 1365
      General Catalogue -  GC 731
      John Herschel ( Cape of Good Hope ) # 2552 - Nov 28, 29 1837
      Principal Galaxy Catlogue - PCG 13179
      ESO 358-17
      IRAS 03317-3618
      RA (2000.0) 3h 33m 37.2 s
      DEC (2000.0) -36 deg 8' 36.5"
      10th magnitude Seyfert-type galaxy in the Fornaux cluster of galaxies
      200 Kly diameter
      60 Mly distance

Capture Details:
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1400mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:  Nikon D7500 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.7mm, 5568x3712 @ 4.196um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 22 Nov 2017 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 120s ) all at ISO400.
      70 x 120s + 5 each @ 4s to 60s
      total around 2.5hrs 

Processing ( Pixinsight )
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks
      Integration in 6 sets
      HDR combination 
      Image - Plate Solution
      ==========================================
      Resolution ........ 1.328 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... -0.008 deg  ( North is up )
      Field of view ..... 58' 8.6" x 38' 47.5"
      Image center ...... RA: 03 33 41.182  Dec: -36 07 46.71
      ==========================================
    • By MikeODay
      The Rosette Nebula and Cluster ( NGC 2237 and 2244 ) in the constellation Monoceros
      edit:  updated 30th Dec with improved colour balance and slightly increased brightness ...

original:

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Still a work-in-progress really... with only 10 x 4min exposures for the main 'lights' before the clouds came over.  I will try to add some more data when the moon has gone
      I am still experimenting with how to get the best out of the D7500.  With the very warm nights ( low to mid 20s all night ) the 'warm pixels' are very noticeable so I reverted to my old practice of in-camera dark subtraction.  This worked quite well and produced a nice smooth noise floor in the integrated images - albeit at the expense of more exposures.
      Identification:
      The Rosette Nebula ( NGC 2237 ) is a large, circular emission nebula in the constellation Monoceros.  It surrounds a cluster of hot, young stars known as the Rosette Cluster ( NGC 2244 ). ( SkySafari )
      NGC 2237, 2244
      Caldwell 49, 50
      North is up.
      Capture Details:
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1400mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D7500 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.7mm, 5568x3712 @ 4.196um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 23 Dec 2017 )
      9 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1s to 240s ) all at ISO400.
      10 x 240s + 5 each @ 1s to 120s
      imaged ~ +/- 1.5hrs either side of meridian
      maximum altitude ~ 51.3 deg above north horizon
      Processing ( Pixinsight )
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and in-camera dark subtraction
      Integration in 9 sets
      HDR combination 

Image Plate Solution
      ===================================
      Resolution ........ 0.633 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... 0.181 deg
      Focal ............. 1367.90 mm
      Pixel size ........ 4.20 um
      Field of view ..... 58' 59.4" x 39' 15.0"
      Image center ...... RA: 06 31 55.638  Dec: +04 56 30.84
      ===================================
    • By jadcx
      Hi
      I’ve recently got some shiny new kit, and last night was the first clear skies here when I had the opportunity to try it all out.  This is not my first time observing, so I’m well prepared for unexpected issues, but it is my first time ccd imaging.  There was lots of learning, including; cable management needs to be better, I (still) never have the right USB cable, and the focus tube needs some mechanical refining to address slippage.  But the problem I’m not sure how to solve is one of focus.
      I bought the SW Trius 814 kit (Trius 814, mini usb filter wheel with OAG, and Lodestar X2) and naively thought that perhaps if it was sold together it would all work together.  And maybe it does, I’m not immune to stupidity
      I could achieve focus with the 814 relatively easily, and even captured a test image and solved it in Ekos, all very heart warming.  But I couldn’t then get focus with the Lodestar X2 (attached to the integrated OAG in the mini wheel) without pulling the focus tube out considerably further (approx. 50-80mm I didn’t measure).  This obviously isn’t ideal.  Am I missing something?
      The setup is:
      ED80 -> Field flattener -> filterwheel with OAG ->  Trius 814  with the Lodestar attaches directly to the OAG.
      All advice appreciated, and please don‚Äôt imagine that I won‚Äôt have missed something ‚Äėobvious‚Äô ¬†

Thanks

Justin
    • By 1CM69
      Hi
      very new to guiding and using an OAG on my CPC9.25 SCT and need some help.
      A few weeks back I managed to capture 10min subs of IC434 without any real issue. I had my CPC9.25 mounted on a wedge, did an EQ North Align, then Polar Align > Align Mount routine. I slewed to a target and set about getting both my guide camera, Lodestar X2 & my DSLR both into focus on my attached Celestron 93648 OAG.
      My setup as follows:
      SCT > OAG > DSLR via Baader 2958550 Protective T-Ring
      The complete OAG thickness calculated from the manual is 66.8mm, comprising (SCT Adapter 25.3mm, OAG Body 29mm & Male M42 Camera Adapter 12.5mm)
      I can't seem to find info on optical thickness of the Baader T-Ring but can only assume that when attached to my DSLR, gives the norm 55mm to sensor. If this is the case then I am already at 121.8mm.
      To get focus in the guide cam I had to add a 1.25" nose piece extension and the original end of the guide cam is just visible above the top of the guide cam holder.

Now skip forward to last night, I thought I'd try getting wider FOV images of the same target, no problem or so I thought, I have a Celestron f6.3 94175 reducer, I'll just install that directly onto the back of my SCT and attach everything else exactly as above, behind it.
      Well, getting my DSLR into focus was no big issue, just had to turn the focus knob a bit, the usual when using the FR but my issue was with my guide cam, the stars were huge doughnuts.
      Through a process of elimination I figured that I had to move the guide cam in nearer to the prism, so I had to remove the nose piece extension and push the camera all the way in to the holder as well as winding the OAG guide cam focuser all the way down. 
      Doing this I managed to get sharper results from the guide cam but these stars were no longer round, they were very oblique circles, pointed at the narrow ends.
      After lots more fiddling and swearing  I came to the conclusion that I could not solve this issue on site so gave up and removed the reducer.
      Later on I realised that it may be that I needed to adjust the position of the prism i.e. slide it in more to the light beam. As it happens I did not have a suitable allen key with me to try this.
      My question/s is/are:
      am I correct in thinking that I was possibly picking up stars right on the edge of the FR in the guide cam, the edge where all the aberration is?
      just wondering why it was necessary that I had to reduce the distance to light source of the guide cam but the DSLR distance was fine staying put & only needed refocusing?

Thanks in advance
    • By Dec
      After a lot of experimentation I have just managed to achieve focus on both my oag and Atik 383l. However I am not convinced that the image from the guide camera is orthagonal to that of the Atik even though both are square to the RA axis.
      I did have to chop about 5mm off the prism turret to achieve focus. Could the prism have moved? If so will it affect my guiding accuracy? How do I check how much it's off by? The prism appears to be square and flush with the turret, will removing and resetting the prism (using the small grub screw) make any difference.
      Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks

Dec