Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
sloz1664

SGPro, FocusLock and Lodestar with OAG

As SGPro are actively promoting the FocusLock focussing system from Optec Optical & Electrical Products. I was wondering if anyone is actively using this system. Preferably with a Lodestar or LodestarX2 and OAG, using the Lacerta kit.

Steve

I saw this Steve and thought that in theory it sounds like a great idea..... I'm starting to get stuff together to give it a go next year ?

I looked at Optec's web page but didn't find much information about the hardware used in the Lacerta for Lodestar hardware kit other than it works in a similar way  as with an ONAG. I can see in the picture they show of the Lodestar X2 camera that they seem to have replaced the front window but not more info than that. I may have missed it but is there any more info on the hardware used?

Regards

Lars

3 minutes ago, Lars said:

I looked at Optec's web page but didn't find much information about the hardware used in the Lacerta for Lodestar hardware kit other than it works in a similar way  as with an ONAG. I can see in the picture they show of the Lodestar X2 camera that they seem to have replaced the front window but not more info than that. I may have missed it but is there any more info on the hardware used?

Regards

Lars

PDF showing the kit contents here

Hello,

I know how this works with respect to the ONAG guider and it works very well. It keeps my Edge 11 in focus throughout an imaging session. With the ONAG I use a Starllight Xpress Ultrastar (which you really need as you only get the IR light with the ONAG). As an OAG captures all the light from a guide star you should be able to use a X2 Lodestar. I don't know how they've made this work with the OAG. The ONAG relies on the astigmatism introduced by the cold mirror of the ONAG and the way it varies as you move in and out of focus (see https://www.innovationsforesight.com/education/real-time-autofocus/ for more on that). 

I'm guessing that the tilt window used in the Lacerta system introduces a similar astigmatism. This doesn't affect guiding performance with the ONAG and I assume it wouldn't with an OAG. Because the focusing is continuous, once focus has been achieved, the focuser (a Moonlite  focuser in my case) is moved in small steps as necessary. The steps are small enough that imaging is not disturbed, although I guess this would rely on how tightly you have connected everything.

The main thing you will need to do is to make sure that your OAG and imaging camera are parfocal, so that when the FocusLock s/w thinks the OAG image is focused then so is your imaging camera. I did this with the help of a Batinov mask.

The Optec software is easy enough to use, but as far as I know it requires PHD2 to work. It grabs a copy of the guide star image from PHD2 to anaylse to see if the focus needs to be changed. It will average several images before making a measurement so variations in seeing are ignored. You can set the number of frames to average. There is a simple calibration process to go through and there is an option for backlash compensation should you need it. If you have filters that aren't parfocal then you can provide offfsets to the software to handle this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Steve8045
      I have just got myself a Celestron C11-A XLT (CG-5) scope and a SkyWatcher EQ6-R PRO SynScan mount. I have an ASIAIR PRO and the ZWO ASI462MC planetary camera. I want to use my Nikon DSLR for deep sky photography. 
      Now I’m looking at auto guide options. I’m thinking of getting a ZWO ASI290MM mini and am wondering if I should get a guidescope or an OAG? Which is better and why?
      I don’t have the Edge HD C11 so would the view on my scope be good enough for an OAG? If I go for a guidescope what would I need there? I’ve seen 50mm and 60mm scopes but some people have mounted huge guidescopes which would be way out of my budget. Would a smaller guide scope be up to the job?
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• By ejdavis
      Hello,
      I have a remote telescope set up in Spain.  It has an Atik EFW3  7 position filter wheel. I use Seqeunce Generator Pro to control the set up.
      I was advised by the owner of the remote site that he uses a Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox v2 which considerably simplified the cabling. So, I decided buy one also.
      It was installed a few days ago.
       However we have been having significant problems with the filter wheel. Before the Powerbox was installed, the filter wheel had performed flawlessly for over a year.
      The problems are:- 
      The filter wheel, on start up, often does not move when commanded to do so in SGP. It sometimes says "Moving" in SGP but then stays at the Luminance filter which is in Position 1 on the filter wheel. If I close both SGP and disconnect the Powerbox and start again, it then sometimes (but not always) starts to accept instructions to move correctly for filters 1 to 5.
      However, even when it is moving the filters correctly, filters 6 and 7 are inaccessible. It acts like they are not there at all.
      The site owner has checked the cables and they are properly installed.
      Can you please offer  any advice on how to proceed? I do like the Powerbox concept and hope I can continue to use it.
      Thanks for looking.
      Eric
    • By knobby
      Hi All, wondered if you could help me make sense of this ... new HEQ5 - belt modded by FLO, all feels good, minuscule backlash but strange guiding.
      Admittedly first time using it but baffled.
      Failed calibration see image below and guiding seemed to be Ra and Dec following each other.
      Stars look ok ish (@ 1500 mm )
      Needle galaxy is poor as only about 10 mins each in RGB
      note - it was hazy and did keep losing star in OAG

Thanks for looking
      PHD2_DebugLog_2020-05-19_221608.txt

• By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I would like to use my QHY5L-II with my OAG. However, it seems like even at 2x Binning its not able to see stars. I've used Dark library, but no use even then
      Any help will be appreciated.
    • By crossingsymmetry
      Greetings everyone.
      I recently scored a great deal on facebook marketplace and bought Skywatcher Skymax 180 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope (f/15) with EQ6R-pro mount. I understand that long focal length telescopes are more suitable for planetary imaging. However, as I am tight on budget, I would like to use the same scope for deep-sky astrophotography. I have Canon Rebel T5 DSLR camera that I am using for taking images. Without autoguiding and a decent polar alignment, I can get ~30 seconds long shots without any star trailing, but that's not sufficient for imaging objects like M51. I would like to be able to integrate longer, say few minutes, thus would like to purchase an autoguider.  Here are some specific questions I have.
      1). The telescope comes with an 8 x 50 straight-through finder.  If I were to use it as a guidescope, what type of image integration time can I expect? Has anyone done autoguiding for f/15 scope with an 8x50 or other finderscopes?
      2). If the integration time will be an issue with the 8x50 finder scope, I am open to purchasing an off-axis-guider. However, considering the narrow field-of-view of Mak-180 telescope, I am concerned about not having enough photons from guidestar for autoguiding. For instance, with my DSLR camera, I need to integrate 20-30 seconds to see the nearby stars in M51. What type of OAG and camera would I need to autoguide with my scope? Are there affordable cameras (~$200) that would do the job for me? Would ASI120MM Mini Monochrome (~$150) do the job? What about OAG?
      I plan to use phd2 software for autoguiding rather than relying on the build-in guide port on the mount.  Instead of integrating for hours, I am planning to do DSS stacking of few mintues long multiple shots, hopefully this will put less strict requirements on the autoguider.
      In case this information is relevant: with my current setup, I have no issue pointing my scope to a desired deep-sky object, track the object within the field-of-view of my DSLR camera for hours using the mechnical tracking of the EQ6 mount. For instance following is a single raw image of Ring nebula taken with 30 seconds shot.  But it is not enough for generating high-quality images. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
      Jay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.