Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M106 - Just a Quickie With Stacked Teleconverters.

StuartJPP

Inspired by the M104 image in this thread...

I decided to have a bit of a play with stacked teleconverters on my Canon 500mm lens. A bit silly but the night was practically over, well the target I was after ended up in the murk so I pointed towards M106 and I thought..."what have I got to lose".  M104 isn't ideally situated at the moment (and isn't usually in the UK anyway) so I wanted a target of similar size, although M106 is noticably larger. M104 is one of my favourite galaxies and would have been my preferred target of course.

So here's my terrible cropped version of M106 done on a Canon 6D, with an effective 1400mm focal length (500mm x 1.4TC x 2TC). F ratio was f/11, ISO 3200, 180 second subs. Just to put things into context there's 29 glass elements in total...17 (500mm) + 5 (1.4xTC) + 7 (2xTC).

I managed to get ~30 subs (1.5 hours) using my Avalon M-Zero.

Don't laugh! Not much processing done because the whole image is a bit soft. But guiding was still quite good with no real trailling of the stars which was also part of the test. Will revisit the data at some point to see if I can eek out a bit more.

Imaged resized 50% as the noise at 100% was terrible (effectively removing the 2.0x TC) :)
RGB_5.thumb.png.f7f2d6768823aa4a5b3682b8dd870a74.png

Archived