Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I was FINALLY able to focus my image! QUESTION...

Hey guys!
Thanks thus far for the help with connecting my Canon DSLR to my Galileo telescope. I have a BIG update. Well it's big to me, probably not anyone else... ;) This was just proof of concept, but...

As you may recall, I bought a t-mount and t-ring adapter to connect my DSLR to my telescope. Thus far, I was unable to focus my setup and I figured I will need to buy a 1.25" 2X Barlow lens to remedy the problem...

I was for the first time able to get my DSLR/telescope setup to focus. I took it out in the daylight and pointed it towards a hill in the distance.

I first tried dropping a 6mm eyepiece into the adapter with no luck. I then removed the eyepiece and dropped in my 3X (.965 inch) Barlow lens that came with the telescope.

My telescope takes either 1.25" lenses OR .965 with a little plastic reducer. Anyway, I dropped in the 3X Barlow. Then I had to hold the adapter and DSLR in place with my hand, since the small barlow doesn't fit the 1.25" adapter.

I then dialed my focuser out. I had to dial it about 3 inches out and was able to focus on little blades of grass on the hill. This is a good proof of concept that a Barlow lens IS all I need to achieve focus.

This is good news for me since I wasn't sure if a Barlow would work OR if I might need an eyepiece or if I wouldn't be able to achieve focus at all with this setup.

The 3X Barlow DID make the image a lot more dim. It was a bit dark. However, if I step down to a 2X Barlow, the darkness wouldn't be so bad. Also if shooting the moon, it shouldn't matter as much I wouldn't think.

My questions to you guys are: 1) Will a 2X Barlow lens (1.25 inch) be large enough to achieve focus? I had about 3 inches that I could dial in from where the focus was achieved on this 3X lens. So I think it would work.

2) Would even a 1.5X Barlow even work??  3)My adapter does accept eyepieces. Is there a setup with this where I could use an eyepiece? I tried the 6mm eyepiece before adding the Barlow lens today. I wasn't able to achieve focus.

Maybe I could try the 20mm eyepiece and see if I get focus. I was nowhere near focus with the 6mm though.

Now I just need to find a 2X Barlow lens...

Thanks!

On 12/17/2017 at 17:56, GalileoCanon said:

Hey guys!
Thanks thus far for the help with connecting my Canon DSLR to my Galileo telescope. I have a BIG update. Well it's big to me, probably not anyone else... ;) This was just proof of concept, but...

As you may recall, I bought a t-mount and t-ring adapter to connect my DSLR to my telescope. Thus far, I was unable to focus my setup and I figured I will need to buy a 1.25" 2X Barlow lens to remedy the problem...

I was for the first time able to get my DSLR/telescope setup to focus. I took it out in the daylight and pointed it towards a hill in the distance.

I first tried dropping a 6mm eyepiece into the adapter with no luck. I then removed the eyepiece and dropped in my 3X (.965 inch) Barlow lens that came with the telescope.

My telescope takes either 1.25" lenses OR .965 with a little plastic reducer. Anyway, I dropped in the 3X Barlow. Then I had to hold the adapter and DSLR in place with my hand, since the small barlow doesn't fit the 1.25" adapter.

I then dialed my focuser out. I had to dial it about 3 inches out and was able to focus on little blades of grass on the hill. This is a good proof of concept that a Barlow lens IS all I need to achieve focus.

This is good news for me since I wasn't sure if a Barlow would work OR if I might need an eyepiece or if I wouldn't be able to achieve focus at all with this setup.

The 3X Barlow DID make the image a lot more dim. It was a bit dark. However, if I step down to a 2X Barlow, the darkness wouldn't be so bad. Also if shooting the moon, it shouldn't matter as much I wouldn't think.

My questions to you guys are: 1) Will a 2X Barlow lens (1.25 inch) be large enough to achieve focus? I had about 3 inches that I could dial in from where the focus was achieved on this 3X lens. So I think it would work.

2) Would even a 1.5X Barlow even work??  3)My adapter does accept eyepieces. Is there a setup with this where I could use an eyepiece? I tried the 6mm eyepiece before adding the Barlow lens today. I wasn't able to achieve focus.

Maybe I could try the 20mm eyepiece and see if I get focus. I was nowhere near focus with the 6mm though.

Now I just need to find a 2X Barlow lens...

Thanks!

You don't need a barlow lens to achieve focus on your DSLR. You should use extension tubes. As you have removed your diagonal from your scope to attach your DSLR you lose focal distance and to replace this 'lost' distance you add extension tube(s). Using a barlow will double your f/l and reduce the light to your camera. Thus increasing your imaging time x2.

I would purchase this kit from FLO.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/t2-extension-tube-set.html

Steve

Archived