SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC 410 - The 'Tadpoles' in bi-colour

steppenwolf

I have finally managed to collect sufficient OIII data to produce my bi-colour version of 'The Tadpoles', a nebulous region in Auriga. This has not been an easy task as the skies have been most unhelpful and it has taken several nights for each channel often gaining less than 5 subframes at a time! The majority of the Ha was captured under moonlit conditions where the very narrow bandwidth came in very useful. I still have work to do on the stars but will wait now until I have some SII data to complete an HST palette version.

Image Stats

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Filters: Astrodon 3nm Ha and 3nm OIII
Subframes: 22 x 1800 sec Ha, 25 x 1800 sec OIII
Integration: 23.5 hours
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIM DL
Calibration and Stacking: PixInsight
Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3

The Tadpoles

Tadpoles_bi-colour.thumb.png.f492849cf5a34b9667fe69b8ae0ad28f.png

Brilliant.  Who needs a remote observatory in Spain (with apologies to Barry Wilson......) except of course for the weather and the seeing.  Well, I am surprised that 23.5 hours took more than just a couple of nights at this time of year......

Nice crisp nebula and tadpoles - it's almost 3D.

Chris

I knew it would be worth waiting for :icon_biggrin:.

Excellent Steve - framing, composition and characteristic sharp delivery.  It's not always easy to show tonal relief between the contributing Ha/OIII and you have a lovely contrasting colour palette showing the Tadpoles well with a splash of blue at 'their'heads'.

Top drawer.

1 hour ago, cfpendock said:

Brilliant.  Who needs a remote observatory in Spain (with apologies to Barry Wilson......) except of course for the weather and the seeing.  Well, I am surprised that 23.5 hours took more than just a couple of nights at this time of year......

Nice crisp nebula and tadpoles - it's almost 3D.

Thanks, Chris, pleased you like it.

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Cracking image Steve, love the detail.

Thank you, Carole.

1 hour ago, Craney said:

Wow !!      the tadpoles have luminescent heads ....

I was pleased to see them light up with that blue tinge!

1 hour ago, Luna-tic said:

Fantastic image, well done considering the difficulties.

Such is the joy of imaging in the UK.

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

It's not always easy to show tonal relief between the contributing Ha/OIII and you have a lovely contrasting colour palette showing the Tadpoles well with a splash of blue at 'their'heads'.

Thank you, Barry - I was pleased to see the 'tadpoles' themselves pop out with the application of the OIII to the original Ha data and that gentle blue halo was a real bonus.

Just now, wxsatuser said:

Well done Steve.

Being only 4miles apart I know how hard it is imaging in our neck of the woods. :icon_salut:

It hasn't been great recently, Mike, has it? :D

It's a great pity that I can't persuade my wife to move to France, learn the language and go native! Mind you, I'd miss my sons and grandchildren too much so I am also part of the problem! What is great about imaging from the UK is that the satisfaction when the weather does play ball makes you forget all those wet and cloudy nights .... that said, have you stepped outside this evening? Yuck .......... :(

Sure have and quickly came back in.:icon_biggrin:

Sometimes dream of a nice dark spot, yes, South of France would be nice and steal some of Mr Penrice's photons. :wink::icon_biggrin:

Although this has been my best ever year imaging.
Real glad I got the CCD it's allowed more imaging than the last 3 years.

I suppose what they say about these nebulosities being the birthplaces of stars, etc. is true. This reminds me of photos in anatomy texts that show sperm trying to penetrate an ovum to fertilize it. Life on a grand scale.......

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2017 at 20:51, MartinB said:

Looking great Steve, will be interested to see how much added value you get from the SII (I've become a sceptic!).

On the night of the 18th December, I did manage to collect some SII data from this object - a whole 6 x 1800 seconds worth of it but I wasn't too impressed with it. However, another opportunity did not arise and I moved on to other objects but this morning, I thought I would give processing the SII data a shot just to see what effect it would have and the result was pleasantly surprising. The stars have a better, albeit more bland, appearance but the addition of the SII data has perhaps added something to the overall image and dramatically changed the colour balance as one would expect!

5a65dd4d10466_Tadpoles_HubblePalette.thumb.png.048a9cabea9ec1bbdc9c126951c3f3ac.png

I like that Steve - The SII has really accentuated the 'glowing' around the tadpole heads........ I think that it really is worth persevering with a three channel approach. When I think I can't be bothered and process a bi-colour, the SII always seems to add something more 3D when I can be bothered to add it!!! 

On 1/22/2018 at 12:51, swag72 said:

I like that Steve - The SII has really accentuated the 'glowing' around the tadpole heads........ I think that it really is worth persevering with a three channel approach.

It's a difficult balance for me here in the UK. Bi-colour saves a third in capture time but adds at least that back in at processing time to get some god colour saturation BUT I can process when it's cloudy!

On 1/22/2018 at 18:20, MartinB said:

Wonderful as the HST image is the question for me is, what would the image be like if all that SII time have been spent on more Ha and SII?  I'm still liking that bicolour!

As above, a difficult balance. the HST image does have more punch but at the expense of subtlety!

Archived